SOLVED

Excel novice struggling with formulas please help

Copper Contributor

I have a workbook used to journal all my stock trades recording everything from trade duration, entry/exit price, stock symbol, win/loss etc.

I record each individual trade’s data into 1 of 3 separate sheets (LIVE, OPTIONS DEMO, STOCKS DEMO). Using formulas, I take the data from those sheets and put it into another sheet called STATS which tells me things like e.g. What is the average holding time of all my Facebook trades.

I recently paid a freelancer to fix up my STATS sheet, specifically to write the formulas required to show maximum profit gained or lost on each stock as well as show the trade duration of a stock as: X days X hours X minutes X seconds instead of the 00:00:00:00 format.

My problem is when I enter in a new row of data of a new trade in my LIVE sheet, the trade duration columns on STATS 2 all change to “Duration was not found”. Furthermore, at least 4 columns now show every line of data as #NAME?.

See what I mean here:
https://ibb.co/fkPKSQ4
https://ibb.co/vvsSRL9
https://ibb.co/D5KmMjn

How it should look:

x.pngy.pngz.png

If someone could kindly take a look at my file, go into the formulas and offer a solution I would greatly appreciate it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/76b6mo02pnaxibh/STOCKS%20JOURNAL.xlsx?dl=0

Thanks

4 Replies
best response confirmed by alexx1202 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@alexx1202 

1. Right off the bat, this workbook is poorly optimized.

2. The workbook makes use of functions not available in your version of Excel.  From the screenshots you've posted, it looks like you're working in Excel 2016.  Functions like MINIFS, MAXIFS, LET, LAMBDA, etc. are not available.

Any time MAXIFS or MINIFS are used, you'll need to arrange them like ctrl+shift+arrays.  For example,:

{=MAX(MAX(IF(StockSymbol=A4,IF(StockResult="W",IF(StockProfitF>0,StockProfitF)))),MAX(IF(LiveSymbol=A4,IF(LiveProfitF>0,LiveProfitF))))}

I've fixed the formulas in G, M, and P.  The formulas are using dynamic ranges so the calculation won't be bogged down by entire column references (e.g. F:F, H:H).

Patrick2788_0-1681588252622.png

The part I don't understand about how these formulas was written is why would the freelancer use newer functions (and even LAMBDA) but not optimize the workbook? There's no spilling and the referencing is lazy.  The COUNTIFS and SUMIFS are fine but there's no need to refer to the entire column for the criteria.

I fixed the first few formulas then took a step back and looked at the rest of the workbook.  It's going to take a bit of time to overhaul this workbook but it's do-able and it will calculate a lot faster if everything is fixed.

Attached is a sample of a few things I've re-done.

Hi @Patrick2788 

Thanks for fixing those columns for me. Saved me a lot of time.    

Can the 2016 version change the durations of each symbol to show as X days X hours X min etc. and not in 00:00:00:00 format? 

@alexx1202 

I would forego the text listing of day/times.  Excel 2016 doesn't have the LET function so a formula to present the duration as such would get really messy.

In fact, I'd pull the 3 different times in separate columns to simplify the calculations.  I've attached the workbook where I've pulled the numbers via INDEX-MATCH and then running calculations for MIN, MAX, and AVERAGE is simpler.

Hi @Patrick2788 

I’m a bit confused. Why does cell X10 show as 38 mins? What is each cell in columns X, Y and Z meant to represent? The durations displayed for symbol ARDX in columns AB and AC are wrong too.   

Also, if it is too calculation intensive to show durations in text listing, is there a way in 2016 excel to display for e.g., 1 day 2 hours 3 min and 4 sec as 01:02:03:04?

A couple of trades go longer than 30 days. When that happens excel resets the clock. E.g. A trade lasts 31 days 2 hours 3 min and 4 sec and is shown as 01:02:03:04. Displaying it as a text listing solved that problem.

Alex

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by alexx1202 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@alexx1202 

1. Right off the bat, this workbook is poorly optimized.

2. The workbook makes use of functions not available in your version of Excel.  From the screenshots you've posted, it looks like you're working in Excel 2016.  Functions like MINIFS, MAXIFS, LET, LAMBDA, etc. are not available.

Any time MAXIFS or MINIFS are used, you'll need to arrange them like ctrl+shift+arrays.  For example,:

{=MAX(MAX(IF(StockSymbol=A4,IF(StockResult="W",IF(StockProfitF>0,StockProfitF)))),MAX(IF(LiveSymbol=A4,IF(LiveProfitF>0,LiveProfitF))))}

I've fixed the formulas in G, M, and P.  The formulas are using dynamic ranges so the calculation won't be bogged down by entire column references (e.g. F:F, H:H).

Patrick2788_0-1681588252622.png

The part I don't understand about how these formulas was written is why would the freelancer use newer functions (and even LAMBDA) but not optimize the workbook? There's no spilling and the referencing is lazy.  The COUNTIFS and SUMIFS are fine but there's no need to refer to the entire column for the criteria.

I fixed the first few formulas then took a step back and looked at the rest of the workbook.  It's going to take a bit of time to overhaul this workbook but it's do-able and it will calculate a lot faster if everything is fixed.

Attached is a sample of a few things I've re-done.

View solution in original post