Excel not working properly since updating to Windows 11

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Since I have updated my PC to windows 11 Excel has not been working properly. Every 5 min the sheets seem to be unresponsive when I click on a tab or anywhere on the excel page. To make it work again I have to constantly reduce the window and reopen it. This is very frustrating as it happens very often. I have tried to start excel in safe mode or disable add-ins but the bug continues.

Thank you 

103 Replies

@Hossam_El_Mahdy you are a real GENIUS!! PDF Editor plugin was the problem. Thank you guy, you saved me!!

@Garagolo Would you be able to post the response that you said was the solution? I have a Foxit PDF Creator COM Add-in (not plug in). Is that what he's referring to? I have to figure out how to disable it as it serves no purpose. If it turns out to be the reason for a ton of frustration or a long period of time, I will not be happy with Foxit. 

@jdsjamul 

for me the solution was this:

1- Go to File/Options/Add-ins

2- Manage in the bottom

3- Choose COM Add-ins

4- Uncheck any box including the pdf program you are using

5- It should be solved by now

I got the same problem

And in my case, it was due to an add-in that was carried over from the old office.

So, to whoever getting the same problem, you should try disabling add-in (both Excel and COM add-ins) to rule out which one is causing the problem.

@Santero10 

I do simple VBA Excel programming.

Since installation of Windows 11 the message box I add typically for troubleshooting pops up as a transparent display box.

The useless thing will park its carcass on the screen for 15 seconds and more. Eventually, after a while, before seemingly forever, it may display the message. Or, it may not. At the least, the worksheet cells underneath are viewable but not accessible.

The hourglass will wear out eventually.

There is no Option to turn off graphics acceleration.

My Dell laptop (Tag 1P1LX33) was bought for simple word and worksheet work. So, no special graphics hardware I'm aware of. 

Except for the above obnoxious and expensive (my time) bug I have not yet stumbled across any other issues since ill-advisedly "upgrading" from Windows 10.

And, I thought all these Microsoft upgrade screw-ups had disappeared after Windows 3.3!

I have just installed win 11 and find that Excel has become very slow and often locks up and requires a restart.

To be clear, this isn't just a problem affecting excel, it's a complete MS Office suite problem

Sometimes it's just about ok then next thing I find I have to re-start Office several times to get any kind of working environment. Biggest problems for me seem to be when I have to print from the non-default printer. Although slow processes and lockups are common with Word, excel, access and outlook, my usual apps.
It's undeniably better than when I started with windows11 but still frustrating, especially since the office suite isn't performing the way it's guaranteed to.

Another annoyance is that windows 10 was PROMISED to be the last ever version of windows.
This surely is grounds for a class action against Microsoft?

Makes no difference

@stylo9 perhaps we should get a lawsuit going? this is absolutely horrible!!!  

I have had problems similar to those described in these posts and they started to appear after one of the last two Win 11 automatic updates. Disabling the graphics accelerator as suggested by one of the posters worked for me. It sped up scrolling through the file significantly, but more importantly, I can now again read the bottom of the display. (Btw, I never had a cell lock up problem so I can’t comment on that issue). 

Just an update.
I had Dell come out various times to get this resolved as my own IT department was not able to do so. Dell in turn replace my SSD and replace my motherboard twice as they claimed it to be the graphics card. My laptop was formatted 4 times since July 2022. After 6 months of fighting with the manufacturer they finally replaced my laptop under warranty. The technician said he only dealt with this issue once before and they could not resolve the issue and also replaced the laptop under warranty.
FYI... Do not upgrade to Windows 11 yet, this seems to be where the issues all start.
Since I have updated my PC to windows 11 Excel has not been working properly. Every 5 min the sheets seem to be unresponsive when I click on a tab or anywhere on the excel page. To make it work again I have to constantly reduce the window and reopen it. This is very frustrating as it happens very often. I have tried to start excel in safe mode or disable add-ins but the bug continues.

I had Dell come out various times to get this resolved as my own IT department was not able to do so. Dell in turn replace my SSD and replace my motherboard twice as they claimed it to be the graphics card. My laptop was formatted 4 times since July 2022. After 6 months of fighting with the manufacturer they finally replaced my laptop under warranty. The technician said he only dealt with this issue once before and they could not resolve the issue and also replaced the laptop under warranty.
FYI... Do not upgrade to Windows 11 yet, this seems to be where the issues all start.
Reverting back to Windows 10 did not solve my problem.
I eventually had Dell come out various times to get this resolved as my own IT department was not able to do so. Dell in turn replace my SSD and replace my motherboard twice under warranty. My laptop was formatted 4 times since July 2022. After 6 months of fighting with the manufacturer they finally replaced my laptop under warranty. The technician said he only dealt with this issue once before and they could not resolve the issue and also replaced the laptop under warranty.

Same problem. My workbook was running perfectly and now it seems to go off and think about something else in the middle of my work. Screens will flash up when they shouldn't. Very, very frustrating. You need to fix this Microsoft. At the very leasst identify what is causing the problem to the User and leave them hanging like this. Kind regards.

I fix it, uninstalling excel365 and installing excel 2019, i lose the online and the integration with m365, but I can work untill MS fix the problem.
I found if you uninstall Excel365 and you install another office that is not 365, like Excel 2019, it works fine, i did it untill MS resolve these problem with Excel365 and Windows 11.

@JohnBrowning9 

Because it's Microsuck.  Their stuff works perfectly every time didn't you know that?  Just ask them. Nothing is ever their fault and at some point in the future, some obscured update will be sent without ever having acknowledged there was a problem to begin with.  It will just miraculously go away.  Probably not until somebody has the money to sue them for the aggravation and down time though.  That wouldn't be cost effective.  Had no problems on the Win 10 PC with any M365 apps.  Was punished with Win 11 for buying a new laptop and now I get to spend a good portion of my workday restarting M365 apps.    Can't afford a Mac or I'd abandon Microsuck altogether. 

Yes you will upgrade because they'll cram it down your throat like they did Win 8, which was just as huge a piece of crap as Win ME, which they crammed down everyone's throat. No, they don't care. All they care about is their bottom line, which isn't shrinking fast enough for them to do anything about it.

@Santero10 My multi-tab excel file just disintegrated.  Was able to recover, thankfully, but recommend saving an extra copy under a different name, too.

@Santero10 

I have to be honest and say that now (June 2023) my excel and other office apps especially access which I have been pulling my hair out over win11 problems, seems to be working fine.
This is probably the kiss of death and it'll all go to **bleep** again but for now it's all ok.