Excel not working properly since updating to Windows 11

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Since I have updated my PC to windows 11 Excel has not been working properly. Every 5 min the sheets seem to be unresponsive when I click on a tab or anywhere on the excel page. To make it work again I have to constantly reduce the window and reopen it. This is very frustrating as it happens very often. I have tried to start excel in safe mode or disable add-ins but the bug continues.

Thank you 

103 Replies

@davidlaughter 

Hahah no, I did do that but it seems that I don't have the upload center as it doesn't appear anywhere on my PC

@Santero10 

I updated to Windows 11 several months ago and everything seemed to be working fine on my Office 365, but just today, the display when I use Excel seems to have gone all buggy. Like others on this thread, after I press "Enter" upon inputting data or text in a cell, the text goes white, and doesn't show up again until I minimize the window and enlarge it again. The other strange thing that is happening now is that the row number next to cells which have data in them along with the column letters along the top are "whited out" too. These remain unreadable even after the minimizing-enlarging step. I have another computer that is still operating on Windows 10 and it has no such problems, so it appears to be some kind of incompatibility with Windows 11. Why it suddenly started acting up like this after several months of normal use is a real mystery.

@Juchikura  I am experiencing the same sort of problem with Excel 365, but in addition the entire bottom row of worksheet tabs is missing/whited-out.  There are left and right arrows which don't function clearly, and ellipses (three dots)...  When the row and column labels get whited-out (which for me happens when the mouse is moved over them) and then I scroll the worksheet vertically or horizontally, the whited-out row and column labels get repeated in a similar pattern across the newly exposed rows or columns.  There is no way to work in these conditions!  I cannot even get to the correct worksheet because those tabs are missing/whited-out for selection.  This all started happening just three days ago, shortly after installing Windows 11.  I look forward to discovering a solution; I will try repairing Office / Excel 365.

...and now, without having done anything, the problem seems to have suddenly disappeared.  Nice!  Yet so irritating, not knowing if it will just "jump back into chaos" tomorrow...

@Santero10 

I managed to get rid of the issue by going to - Options/Advanced/Display/ and tick the 'Disable hardware graphics acceleration'.  Excel seems to be working as normal now with it disabled, it was unusable before, slow and unresponsive and it didn't register where the cursor was on the screen.

@DropxLr 

That is Great!

However, I am unable to find that option in my Excel which is office 365, the latest version.

Under Option/Advanced/Display, no such option exists.

Could you show us a screenshot?

I think thay may have worked for me. Running office 365. Thank you DropxLr!

It appears that that option was removed from all office apps last year. So your 365 must not have been updated for some time?
PDAman, not sure where you are getting your information, but i am running the latest version at Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2205 Build 16.0.15225.20278) 64-bit. I even just hit "update now" on the account page, and it reports back i am running the latest version.

I have the exact same version and I do not see the 'display hardware acceleration option under display in any of the office apps!

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/disable-hardware-graphics-acceleration
https://www.mrexcel.com/board/threads/cannot-find-option-to-disable-hardware-acceleration.1178466/

My graphics driver is NVidia. So my guess is that Office recognized my graphics driver as not in the problem list and removed that option meaning that it is always on.

For graphic drivers that are not yet in the cleared list, that option is still alive so that the user can see it and disable it if needed.

In my case, the problem started from day 1, and I am guessing that the hardware accelation was on by default and there was no option to disable it.

However, I tried the regedit method just now:

Where did it go? Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration - MSOutlook.info

I had to create the Graphics folder and set the value to 1.

I am hoping that this is the way that can disable hardware acceleration for Excel. 

I will report back if this fixed it

UPDATE:

Unfortunately, adding the registry hack to disable hardware acceleration did not work at all. I am still looking for solutions.

https://imgur.com/a/UGyahom

It's the options in Excel.......

It's there for me, I'm running an all AMD build (5800H Chip & 6600M GPU) not sure if it's there for intel or other AMD's?

Think you may have miss read the original location of the setting.

Go to File>Options, then click on "Advanced" on the left side. Then scroll down to the section titled "Display" and check the box "Disable hardware graphics acceleration".

@davidlaughter 

yes followed the instructions.

That option is removed for my PC as in the photo posted by The OP of the second link I posted.

I think it depends on what graphics card you have in your PC. Nvidia card seems to not show this option under.

what card do you have?

Work laptop, so running standard Intel UHD Graphics 620 ;)

I resolved my issue.

It was the external monitor I have been using for the last 6 years. The display card or driver is not compatible with Windows 11, so each time I moved a spreadsheet over to the second monitor, excel crashed.

It was a theory at first, and it was tested by connecting a new monitor. It's been two days and I have not had any issues. It used to happen every couple of minutes. 

Who knew.

@davidlaughter 

ANYONE!!   I have the same issue. Also, there is not an option to disable the graphics as stated by another person.    So can anyone advise what the solution is?  This is getting worse everytime I use Excel and I use it daily!

HELP!  Please

Well this is driving me nuts. Anyone at MS with a effin' clue?

@Santero10 

Hi, I think the problem is in the print spooler service. Because every time excel saves it always accesses that service. Try stopping the print spooler service.
But I don't know why MS-Office always accesses the service every time, such as when changing the font size, changing the font type, and etc.

I have the exact same symptoms except they seem to be directly related to the Azure DevOps Excel Add-in. When I'm on the "Team" tab it does it every few seconds. When I move off that tab it seems to work okay. But the minimize and maximize does cure it the same as described here. I think I will try and use this with support and see if I can sir the pot.

I am having the exact same problem (doesn't toggle between multiple open sheets), but not with jut excel.  I also have issues with open web pages and file explorer.  I was looking for help, but looks like I am SOL.

Same problem here (cells not responding to mouse clicks on a too-frequent basis), and I'm also getting the occasional issue of sheets not rendering properly, so I've been wondering if its an issue with Excel/NVidia GPUs.

Out of curiosity - what GPU are you running?
I'm running NVidia A2000 on my laptop, and NVidia A4000 at my desk when plugged in to my external GPU & big monitors.

Trying the 'disable hardware acceleration' now...