Excel not sorting numbers correctly - smallest to largest etc.

Copper Contributor

I have been helping a friend organize a excel file with 4 digit numbers.  These numbers are in the 6000 to 8000 range.  When I filter or sort the numbers from smallest to largest there are numbers , in the 6200 to 6800 range, missing where they should be and then excel places them in order farther down in the 7000 to 8000 range.  I am sure there is an answer and I did find that version 16.9 and above have issues.  Is anyone else having this issue and if so, what can be done?

24 Replies
Thanks! This was it for me, though I was using SUMIFS

Not sure if anyone else has come into issues, I was attempting to use the =CLEAN formula to fix my own spreadsheet, but it was acting wonky when I tried to insert a row. I realized that my table did not extend further. 

So if anyone else is working in a table they've set up in excel, you may have to check on the size of your table. a column wasn't ordering properly because a set of the cells were not in the table. I resized the table down further and it fixed the issue immediately :)

@NACAlyssa 

I didn't import data. It says 55 is bigger than 60 and 37 is bigger than 40.  I calculated sums across columns.  I decided to copy and paste values, so there wouldn't be any calculations. Stilll in the same order.  What is the point of having excel if it can't do basic math? I don,t understand why I have to make it more complicated and look up the =clean function for a list of 80 names and numbers to be sorted correctly. 

@William_Bila 

What is the point of having excel if it can't do basic math?

Excel can and does do basic math.  It's not perfect, and every once in a while somebody comes up with an actual bug or quirk, but it's not in the realm of basic math. Given the millions using Excel over the years, around the world, the odds that you have discovered a fatal flaw in Excel's abilities with basic math are less than infinitesimal.

And you are coming into a thread that began over  two years ago and may or may not be applicable to your situation.

So why don't we back up a bit and get a more complete description from you of what you're working with and what is and is not working. And, if it's possible, without violating confidentiality or proprietary data restrictions, it would help us help you if you could post a copy of your actual workbook on OneDrive or GoogleDrive, with a link pasted here that grants edit access.

@@

I had the same problem but my numbers were not from internet, they were from another page in the same worksheet.

Turns out that the problem was fixed when I transfered my formula to the same page as the numbers it referenced. 

The part with : 'pagexx'! Seemed to be the problem.. 

Hope this helps someone