Excel not letting me change Y axis bounds in scatter chart

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am having an issue in that excel is not letting me start the Y axis of a scatter plot at a different value to zero. I cannot seem to find an option to turn off the automatic formatting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

emma_1998_0-1607511511774.png

8 Replies

@emma_1998 You should be able to just type the starting number where it says 0,0. Then the "Auto" will change to "Reset".

@Riny_van_Eekelen Hi, this worked when I did the x axis but when I do the y axis, the number just jumps  back to 0. 

@emma_1998 Strange. You should be able to over-ride the settings for both axis. See a quick-and-dirty X-Y chart attached.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Yes really strange, thanks for trying to help. Apparently it may be something faulty regarding excel so I am going to try repair the program and see what happens. 

@emma_1998 

That could be if instead of 0,8 you enter 0.8 (I guess comma is your default decimal part separator). With any incorrect value it silently jumps back to zero or to previous correctly entered number. On X-axis you have no decimal part for values, thus it worked since you didn't use comma or dot.

I have exactly the same problem. I have an excel sheet that I have used for years to plot weight against date. I used to change the x-axis every half year by simply adding 183 to the bounds. But all of a sudden excel does not allow me to do that any more. I think it is a fault. Tried repair but no luck. Excel 2019, Windows 10, all up to date.