Excel Name Definition using "indirect" formula within its Range target area

Copper Contributor
4 Replies
I don't think the INDIRECT argument currently evaluates to a valid cell reference. Try this:
- Copy the current formula from the name and paste it into any cell.
- Press F2 on that cell, highlight everything between the brackets () and press the F9 key once. Copy the resulting string
- press escape
- select another cell and press the = sign and paste. Now try to enter. If the address was valid you should not receive an error.

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

Dear Mr/Ms. Pieterse

Thanks, as told in my first posting, there us no error message & the same formula works

with Excel "Data Validation" Function as shown within the file linked here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l7WaxCdNSw6cTtqWqeJEMya8pl3VRxrl/view?usp=sharing

Re: Excel Name Definition using "indirect" formula within its Range target area

I don't think the INDIRECT argument currently evaluates to a valid cell reference. Try this:
- Copy the current formula from the name and paste it into any cell.
- Press F2 on that cell, highlight everything between the brackets () and press the F9 key once. Copy the resulting string
- press escape
- select another cell and press the = sign and paste. Now try to enter. If the address was valid you should not receive an error.

I'm not sure whay this doesn't work, but I suspect it has to do with the name also containing an INDIRECT

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

Dear Jan, 

Thanks for your patients, Hopeful you've found out my purpose within the sample excel file I've provided earlier. That is:  to have the function of :

"Changing target area without opening the "Name Definition" Editing Dialog Box" .

In other words, I would like only to key in only the starting Row number & the ending row number (of the target area) in any assigned 2 cells.

Thanking you in advance.