EXCEL MICROSOFT 365 PROPERTY: "Move and Size with cells" is not behaving as expected

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am using desktop version of Excel Microsoft 365.

I have included 2 objects in a worksheet: one text box and one rectangular shape.

Excel file: move and size with cells 

I want the objects to be able to both move and size with cells. So I have assigned the property "move and size with cells" to both objects.

If I apply a filter, the objects will size with cells. However, if I apply a sort, the objects won't won't move with with the cells. See attached workbook.

This is not behaving as expected, since the objects should move with the cells when the sort is applied. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug in Excel Microsoft 365? 

Thanks

7 Replies

@Angelo_DZ You need to add a header to the columns that hold the objects, or select the entire range to be sorted. Now, when you sort the TASK column, Excel doesn't know that the columns towards the right are to be included also. Just put an "X" in each of the cells C17:N17 and give it a try.

Edit: Set the objects to Move but not size, then it should work.

Hi Riny,

Thanks for the advice.

I inserted "x' on each column as you show in your screenshot, but when I select the whole area and sort the TASK column to "largest to small", the objects still don't move with the cells (see before and after screenshots below)

I agree with your last comment that if I change the object properties to "move and don't size with cells", then the objects will move when the sort is applied.

However, I want to have the objects to be able to both "move and size with cells" since I will be applying both sorts and filters in my actual working document that will contain many rows columns and many objects. I don't want to have to continually be changing object properties depending on my needs.

Seems like there is a bug where the objects can't both move and size with cells despite having applied the proper property to "move and size with cells".

Angelo_DZ_0-1643293196576.png

Angelo_DZ_1-1643293332993.png

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

@Angelo_DZ Try the attached file.

Thanks. The blue box does not move when the sort is applied.
There is something wrong with excel. I have had this same issue in the past and then it got resolved, and now it is acting up again. I hope Microsoft product developers resolve this.

@Angelo_DZ I never touched the blue box. Set it also to Move but not size and it works. By the way, I can't help wondering why you want to have shapes with texts or a colour inside a cell. Why not just type the text in the cells and change the fill colour?

Thanks . I use shapes with colored fill to create some customized schedules in excel (Gantt charts) for demonstrative graphics. I find it simpler to edit the layout of the chart with drawn objects versus filling cells with color. But perhaps I should rethink my work process.