Excel keeps locking up

Copper Contributor

Version : Office Professional Plus 2016

This only happens in Excel, but randomly while working in excel the entire workbook locks up, no further operations/actions can be performed and the only way to 'reset' is to minimize and maximize the workbook (if multiple are open then I must min/max all of them). I have to do this repeatedly while working on excel. I would be doing something as simple as typing inside a cell, formatting, copy/pasting, etc. I haven't been able to determine any particular action(s) that causes this locking behavior.

I tried repairing the installation and that hasn't changed anything. I'm up-to-date with all updates but still can't figure out how to resolve this issue. Its been going on for several months and its a nuisance when I'm working from home.

2 Replies

@kpnes4ever 

Excel not responding, hangs, freezes or stops working

I don't know which operating system it is (win.10, win.11, mac, etc.) or which storage medium (hard drive, onedrive, sharepoint, network, etc.) but look at this link from microsoft you might be able to find some solutions.

Would still recommend inserting the file (without sensitive data) or photos if the file is not possible.

At the same time, if you have already updated everything and performed repair, I recommend starting in Safe mode first.

Hope I was able to help you with this info.

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@kpnes4ever system info

Microsoft® Excel® 2016 MSO (Version 2209 Build 16.0.15629.20200) 64-bit

Windows 11 Pro / 22H2 / 22621.675

Desktop PC (Intel) with SSD, local use of software