Excel Investment portfolio

Copper Contributor

Hello so I have an investment portfolio with like stocks. When I input one of my Index funds it shows up as #FIELD! in the industry. How can I get the industry for a index fun to show up as index fund? In my ledger it shows up fine and can find the stock symbol and stock information. 

5 Replies
Is there a reason why you are asking a specific question about a specific index fund but don't, you know, tell us what the fund is so that we can investigate the specifics?
The index is swppx

@tsimmons2014 

Thanks for supplying that key bit of information. I assume then, that you're asking in part about Excel's STOCKHISTORY or some comparable function that retrieves various bits of info about funds and stocks based on their symbols.

SWPPX is Schwab's index fund based on the S&P 500

There are at least five index funds or ETFs based on the S&P 500, and at least in my experiment just now, only one of those elicits info from the STOCKHISTORY function. That one is SPY. SWPPX returns #NA

Here, from Investopedia, are the top five such funds.

mathetes_0-1622409131689.png

For more information from Investopedia, here's a link: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/101415/4-best-sp-500-index-funds.asp

I suspect that the problem is the redundancy in that realm of index funds. Is it at all possible for your purposes to use SPY in your portfolio tracking sheet?

I have attached what I am experiencing 

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 3.58.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 3.58.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 3.58.34 PM.png

   

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 3.58.59 PM.png

Oh, and I just realized that there is NO industry, per se, to connect with the S&P 500 index. It is, after all, an index that crosses MANY industries, and just is the largest 500 companies in the S&P. So THAT is probably the real reason you get, in essence, an error message for Industry. Individual companies will be part of an industry; some mutual funds and ETFs, as well, can be industry specific (Consumer Goods comes to mind, or Pharmaceuticals, or Healthcare), but the S&P 500, no.