Excel help

Copper Contributor
Hi I would like to enter a invoice number in a cell and on hitting enter open said save excel worksheet in another workbook
We're do I start
3 Replies

@Roger5586 wrote: Hi I would like to enter a invoice number in a cell and on hitting enter open said save excel worksheet in another workbook
Where do I start?

How about starting with a slightly bigger picture description of what you're doing, where this requests fits into a bigger set of steps. 

I ask because what you've said so far is kind of odd. (I suspect that may be why after over 50 views you've had no replies.)

By definition, you're already IN one spreadsheet when you enter that invoice number, so one wonders:

• "Why are we taking that single entry and starting yet another spreadsheet/workbook somewhere else with, presumably, nothing but an invoice number in it??!"
  • "Why not just start WITH that new workbook and enter that invoice number there to begin with?"
  • Etc.
I am in my accounts sheet and I save my invoices in another workbook.
from my accounts sheet I would like to in one cell enter any of the save invoices numbers and have said invoice open.
Hope that's a bit better

@Roger5586  I am in my accounts sheet and I save my invoices in another workbook.
from my accounts sheet I would like to in one cell enter any of the save invoices numbers and have said invoice open.
Hope that's a bit better

It's a good start. Raises a few more questions, however:

• You say "I am in my accounts sheet"-- is this your business, and the "accounts" are various customer accounts, in which case (presumably) the invoices are ones you've created for customers?
  • OR is this your personal accounts (checking, credit cards, etc) and the invoices are ones you've received and are needing to pay, or have already paid, and need to track?
  • In either case, when you say you want the invoice to open, are we talking a visual display of the entire invoice as an image of what was printed, or just the data from said invoice?

My own inclination (as evidenced in how I've organized my own accounts [personal ones] for tracking income and expenses, the latter in the form of checks paid, credit card transactions from multiple credit cards) is to have all of these records in a single workbook, and all expenses and income as simply one history record, with columns that indicate what account, what date, budget category, sub-category.....

Having it all integrated in a single database makes summary reports very easy.

Depending on how it is your "invoice" is to be displayed--image or data--I could readily see that too as part of a single workbook with one or two dashboards for retrieval of individual transactions in the one case, or summary pictures of all (this latter taking advantage of Excel's Pivot Table capability)

I apologize if these questions are annoying. These are all questions I'd be asking if we were sitting down face-to-face, seeking to make the overall process take full advantage of Excel's abilities in delivering to you the fullest benefit for the information you're tracking.