Excel Help

Copper Contributor

hi all,

I'm trying to build a sheet with a master list of items all with data that is unique to the first cell name. i am then adding sheets on which can made up of some but not all of items on the master list. on the additional sheets I'd like to select the a cell name and it bring up the other cells data next to it so i can create costings for a kit of items.

I'm fairly basic on excel and could do with steering the right way/formula or even if it is possible?

thanks in advance

7 Replies

@rshaw7 

I'm quite sure that what you're asking for is possible.

Unfortunately, your description is far too vague to give any specific advice. Would it be possible for you to post an Excel file with an example of the kind of data you're working with--if the real data is confidential or proprietary, then use fake data--what it looks like in the master file, and then an example or two of what you want on those subordinate lists.

@mathetes 

Thank you for your reply, apologies its vague. I know what i'm trying to do but not the correct terminology to do it. i've attached the sheet as there isn't any sensitive data.

sheet1 is a master library of costings in cells against an item reference in another cell. i'd like to create additional sheets where i can choose items off the first sheet and it pulls through the costings with it.

i also need the additional sheets to update if i chance a price on the master library as well. i've put some basic formulas in but i'm sure it can be done more robustly than this.

thank you.

@rshaw7 

Hi, 

I have made your master sheet into a table and used a simple VLOOKUP formula for the data on  the KIT 1 sheet. Hope this helps.

@rshaw7 

Just to supplement the solution given you by @Rich99 , here's a good reference link where you can deepen your understanding of how to use Excel. The VLOOKUP function is far and away one of the most popular--for exactly the kind of application you have. https://exceljet.net/excel-functions/excel-vlookup-function

Welcome to the adventure of Excel. Have fun using it more each day

Perhaps, you should learn how to use Index & Match which is way more powerful, dynamic and doesn't break unlike VLOOKUP while adding more columns in the data-set.
A quick video will help you understand:
https://youtu.be/3S4DuYjeWKQ

@Rich99 

Thankyou for your help. i haven't had to use excel in great depth before now so this is a massive step forward. 

thanks again,

Ross

@mathetes 

Thank you as well for your help and comments. I will enjoy getting to grips with this as my need to use excel increases.

Regards,

Ross