SOLVED

Excel has stoppped working when open a file occasionally

Copper Contributor

This Excel exception Problem occured occasionally, it's pretty annoying! 

I have tried to repair Office365, but it seems it does not work still. 

Does anyone met this similar issue, or is there any way to fix?

Here is the windows log when issue occured.

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 16.0.13127.21668, time stamp: 0x60bb19c7

Faulting module name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 16.0.13127.21668, time stamp: 0x60bb19c7

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000000f8666

Faulting process id: 0x5808

Faulting application start time: 0x01d827ae2f44d51e

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE

Report Id: 3fb22a97-d1fb-468d-b9b7-1e662d558376

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

11 Replies

@Fei Ye

For your better assistance from users in this forum, we'll be needing additional information:

Have you updated Office and your operating system?

Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?

Have you recently run or installed any new programs or updates from third-party programs?

Have you reinstalled or uninstalled any Add Inns in Excel?

Do you have a virus program (such as MCAfee) installed?

What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

More detailed information about your Excel version, operating system and storage medium (hard drive, OneDrive, Sharepoint, rtc.) where the file(s) is/are stored would be of great benefit to everyone involved.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Thanks for you response. :)

Have you updated Office and your operating system?

[YEF] excel version: 2008 OS: Windows 10 20H2.

Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?

[YEF] no any recent change.

Have you recently run or installed any new programs or updates from third-party programs?

[YEF] nope.

Have you reinstalled or uninstalled any Add Inns in Excel?

[YEF] recently nope.

Do you have a virus program (such as MCAfee) installed?

[YEF] yep, McAfee

What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

[YEF]  I have tried to repair (quick and online repair) my office 365, but it doesn't work.

Then, I contacted our IT department, uninstall Office365 and reinstall, but it doesn't work.

Then, our IT supporter try to log-in with her owner windows user in my desktop, but it doesn't work.

More detailed information about your Excel version, operating system and storage medium (hard drive, OneDrive, Sharepoint, rtc.) where the file(s) is/ar...

[YEF] Hard driver: solid disk. 

OneDriver and Sharepoint also used.

The only thing I can suggest is to turn off the antivirus software MacAfee, reboot without antivirus software and then test it again.
No, McAfee is our official and mandertory anti-virus software, can not be uninstalled.
BTW, I think it shall not be relevant with McAfee since this issue does not occurred before even McAfee is installed also.

@Fei Ye 

There was no mention of uninstalling, only "Turn Off". It's just about doing a test on a PC where the antivirus software can be turned off (not uninstalled) for the test. As far as I know, there is a function in most anti-viruses where you can disable the anti-virus for a short time.

Only one test should be carried out, nothing else.

At the same time, the fact that the anti-virus software was available beforehand does not mean that updates have gone through in the meantime.

It's actually about ruling out possible sources. Since there is no connection to the PC to see where a source of error could be, the only way to do it is with the elimination process.

In the end it could be that none of this helped, but what if it does help?

*although my feeling (which may not necessarily mean anything) is that some add-in is the problem. Just as a test, simply remove the tick in front of the names of all add-ins (developer tools  Excel add-ins) and then give it a try.

This is also where my wits come to an end as far as the error code is concerned.

Thank you for your understanding, patience and time.

I wish you every success.

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Got it, but anti-virus software can not be set disabled since corporation security policy :(
best response confirmed by Fei Ye (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Isn't it possible to temporarily turn off the antivirus software on a single PC (where the problem appears)?
Then unfortunately (as already said) I can't help you much in this direction, only your system administrator can help you further.
Have you tried unhacking with the add-ins?
It seems issue fixed after I disable all the add-ins :)
As I had a little suspicion at the beginning :).
Now you can hack into each add-in individually and see which add-in caused you this problem. Think you've gotten a little further with this :).

Furthermore, I wish you much success with Excel.

Stay healthy, with lots of joy and love in life
Thanks a lot~~
I think add-in "Microsoft Azure information protection" is that one!
:)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Fei Ye (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Isn't it possible to temporarily turn off the antivirus software on a single PC (where the problem appears)?
Then unfortunately (as already said) I can't help you much in this direction, only your system administrator can help you further.
Have you tried unhacking with the add-ins?

View solution in original post