SOLVED

Excel hangs when using italics

Copper Contributor

Been using Excel for a very long time and never had anything like this.  Using Excel for Office 365 (64bit).  Everything works as normal until I try to put something in italics.  Then Excel hangs for up to an hour before I quit.  I've tried safe mode.  I've tried removing all add-ins.  I've reinstalled Office and Excel.  Rebooting.  Same issue.  Live chat doesn't work, and cannot find another way to contact MS.  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

4 Replies

@James145 

That's a pain.

Maybe try Disabling Hardware Graphics Acceleration

image.png

@James145 

also check if changing the Language option helps at all 

image.png

Thanks for that. I tried it and it didn't work but I am willing to try anything! I restarted Excel after applying the change as well.
best response confirmed by Wyn Hopkins (MVP)
Solution

Sorry, new to this community so don't know how to flag as resolved, but in case anyone else has the same issue, I resolved this by completely uninstalling Office and reinstalling.  The original problem was that Excel hung every time I would try to:
Use italics

Use bold

Underline

Go into font settings
@Wyn Hopkins thanks again for helping out

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Wyn Hopkins (MVP)
Solution

Sorry, new to this community so don't know how to flag as resolved, but in case anyone else has the same issue, I resolved this by completely uninstalling Office and reinstalling.  The original problem was that Excel hung every time I would try to:
Use italics

Use bold

Underline

Go into font settings
@Wyn Hopkins thanks again for helping out

View solution in original post