excel graphs - combination? white line?

Copper Contributor

Hi, I just saw a report that had a graph in it.  What was different was the vertical numbers were 1,2,3,4,5,20,21,22 between 5 and 20 there was a white space gap line all the way across than it continued with 20,21, etc.  This looked like they were able to truncate the graph and restart it to emphasis a gap in the vertical numbers.  I have not found how to do this.  Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks

3 Replies

@micro9901 I'm not aware of any feature in Excel that can do this. But if you have photo editing program you can copy the graph into it and create whatever you want from it. In the attached picture the  graph at the top comes out of Excel, and the one below is "edited" (not very pretty I must admit).

Screenshot 2021-05-01 at 10.33.42.png

@micro9901 

You could 'fake it' with a stacked column chart which is actually plotted against a hidden secondary axis whilst showing the values using labels and an offset primary axis.

Show as:= Values - cut

image.png

@micro9901 

Here How to break chart axis in Excel? (extendoffice.com) is step by step instruction and here Broken Y Axis in an Excel Chart - Peltier Tech is why breaking an axis is a bad idea with alternatives.