Excel glitch when trying to amend a formula range

Copper Contributor

Hello,

Crazy problem that has just started. Working on Excel (latest version 365 and Windows 10) :

• After a few minutes of working on a new or existing worksheet
  • click on a cell containing a formula
  • the cells that are linked to the formula get highlighted with a coloured outline.
  • If you try to select the highlighted area and change the range or move the linked cells a new selection starts
  • you cannot select the range
  • only fix is to re-start excel and it will revert to normal operation but only for a few minutes.
  • have reloaded office
  • ran windows updates
  • Excel re-install

Can not find anything on-line that is similar.

A new range of cells can be manually entered but the existing range can not be amended.

Any help much appreciated

Best

Mark

5 Replies

@MarkSGA Same here. Insider Beta on MS365. Have reported it to MS via Help, Feedback, " I don't like something". I suggest you do the same. Good chance it will be fixed in a future update.

Will do, very frustrating.

@MarkSGA 

Hello Mark, 

I saw your feedback. But I'm not able to reproduce the issue -- at least not with the simple formulas I was trying. Can you please provide more detail on the conditions under which you see the colored reference markers not working? For example, are you using Freeze panes or sheet protection?

If you'd prefer, you can submit more feedback through Excel. If you include your email and screenshot this time with the feedback, I can respond directly to you.

Thanks,

Chris

Excel Engineering

@ChrisHa91 Hi Chris, thanks for the rapid feedback.

I've attached a 20 second screen recording demonstrating a simple sum formula. When I select B6 and F2 to go to formula bar, I see the blue outline around the cells referenced. Hover the cursor over the sides or corners and you'll see the different styles of arrows to move or resize the selection. As soon as you click the cursor loses its focus on the outlined range and selects a nearby cell. This started a few weeks ago, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm subscribing to MS365 Apps for business, running Version 2211 (15813.20002 C-t-r) Beta channel.

Riny

Hello Chris/Riny,
Thank you for your replies, Riny's video is exactly what my Excel has started to do. You just can adjust the selection of an existing range within a cell formula. Hope you can see the issue and suggest a solution.
Best Mark