Excel frustration - sorting formulas

Copper Contributor

Good day,

I am having a frustrating time with excel.

For starters I am not a beginner user. I use excel on a daily basis at work and have used excel for decades for my personal finances. This has never happened to me before.

I have a new laptop (Microsoft) with excel 2013, and was doing some work in excel when I created a small chart that includes names, totals and percent of total. I wanted to sort those excels by percentage so the highest percent item was at the top. The totals and the percentages are all formulas gathering data from elsewhere on the page. 

I did as I normally do and highlighted everything, did a custom sort indicating I wanted to sort based on values from highest to lowest. 

When it sorted...all my totals and percentages changed. All of them. The formulas went wonky.

I did some google searches to try to figure out why this happened and found advice to press 'A4' to make the values absolute. A4 does nothing on my laptop but turn the microphone on and off.. I tried inserting the '$' symbol strategically, and this didn't work either.

What is going on here? any tips or suggestions? I'm getting very frustrated with this program.  

Thank you

1 Reply

@Burdee 

Could you attach a sample workbook, with sensitive information removed or replaced by dummy data?