Excel formulas in a column

Copper Contributor

Is there a "universal" formula can I use that will work in each cell in the balance column with this document? I'm pretty new to this, so don't know how to do this other than to keep entering the formula edited for each cell individually so that the balance is calculated correctly each time. Thanks!petty cash formula in excel.jpg

4 Replies

If you just copy that formula down the column it will do what you want. Edit....Copy when your cursor is in cell B4, then Edit Paste in all rows below.  That's all I did in the attached demo file. There is absolutely no need to re-type the formula each time.

You should familiarize yourself with a good reference website for basic Excel. Here's but one. https://exceljet.net You could also check out basic videos on YouTube

There are many others. A basic book (e.g., Excel for Dummies) is also a good investment.

Thanks very much for all the info. I will check out those resources. But for today, I really need to get this fixed, and realize it must be frustrating to help someone new to this. I don't see a demo file, and nothing I clicked on appeared to be that...is it a video? If I copy the formula in the first cell, do you mean I then paste that same formula in every cell in the column, and it will automatically change the formula for each, or is there a way to apply that universally to all in one fell swoop?

@Snoozin28 

You don't see this at the bottom of my reply? That "basicAdding.xlsx" is an Excel file. Click on the black down pointing arrow to download it. But all it contains is the formula and a few dummy pieces of data. The main point is that I just did a mass copy....paste.

mathetes_0-1643402087693.png

You wrote:  If I copy the formula in the first cell, do you mean I then paste that same formula in every cell in the column, and it will automatically change the formula for each, or is there a way to apply that universally to all in one fell swoop?

Yes. It will adjust itself for every cell going down. You do a mass copy/paste, one time.

Thank you for all your input!