SOLVED

Excel formula Switch help

Brass Contributor

Hi There,

I am having an issue with this formula 

=SWITCH(W404=Z$2,TRUE,S404*0.1,FALSE,S404*0.025)

Despite the cell in question matching the fixed cell Z$2 (being TRUE) the formula is calculating it as false 

Does this formula look incorrect?

6 Replies

Hi,

Please confirm if formula

=W404=Z$2

returns TRUE

By the way, you may simplify your entire formula as

=S404*(0.025+0.075*(W404=Z$2))

Hi Sergei,

Thanks for that, that does look simpler.  I am still having trouble getting the sheet to calculate properly though.  Would you be able to look at the sheet for me if I emailed it over to you, it's driving me nuts :)  Once I get this right it will be fine for months or even years.

Given the knowledge you have, I think it would take you a few minutes, I have spent about 15 hours on this on & off over the last few weeks.

It's very cheeky I know but it must be the combination of Vlookup, tables and other factors causing this issue + my limited knowledge of Excel.

Thoughts?

Kind Regards

Hi,

Better if you remove sensitive information and attach the file here to your post. If that's not possible - yes, please contact me with private message.

Hi Sergei,

Thank you for this.  I have attached Aprils sheet I am trying to get to work and removed any personal data.

The sheet works by 

Column D - User Selects an account from drop down list( from Tab Accounts) 

Column O - User Inputs Charge - Sheets works out VAT & Total 

Column R - User Enters Cost - Sheet then works out the difference in Column T & Margin in U 

Columns V, W & X are pulled also from Tab Accounts based on different account types, salesman & whether the account is a year old.

This all works fine.

Column Y - What I am trying to do is to work out a formula that can look at all the possible combinations of these and return either a % or a set £ amount (listed in column AF)

then Column Z needs to look at Column Y and multiply by the % or just add the £ amount if the combination of words from VWX are Route Cover, Reint, False (over a year old) 

Maybe I'm making it too complicated and I don't need the table on the right?  I was hoping this work make it easier 

Basically, it all seems to work and multiplies the % by 2% if over a year old & 10% if under, I just need it to ignore this calculation if the account type is Route Cover Parcel and show £3 instead.

You may know a better way of doing this I don't know

Thanks in advance 

Jim

best response confirmed by Jimbobmcwalton (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi Jim,

Your data is not synced. For example, in some places you have "Same Day", in others "Same Day " with the space at the end. You compare text "TRUE" with logical value TRUE, etc. I tried to eliminate with

=INDEX(ProbMatrix[Commission Rate],MATCH(1, INDEX( (TRIM([@[AC Type]])=ProbMatrix[Account]) * ([@[Sales Person]]=ProbMatrix[Sales Person]) * ( ([@[Over a Year]]="TRUE")=ProbMatrix[Over a Year]),0),0))

For your helper table it's better to add one more column which says we have commission as per cent or as absolute value, when we may calculate it as

=IF(INDEX(ProbMatrix[%],MATCH(1, INDEX( (TRIM([@[AC Type]])=ProbMatrix[Account]) * ([@[Sales Person]]=ProbMatrix[Sales Person]) * ( ([@[Over a Year]]="TRUE")=ProbMatrix[Over a Year]),0),0))="Y",[@[Courier Pay]]*[@Commission],[@Commission])

I'm not sure where is the formula from which you started this conversation.

Thank you so much for this Sergei, you're a gent! 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jimbobmcwalton (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi Jim,

Your data is not synced. For example, in some places you have "Same Day", in others "Same Day " with the space at the end. You compare text "TRUE" with logical value TRUE, etc. I tried to eliminate with

=INDEX(ProbMatrix[Commission Rate],MATCH(1, INDEX( (TRIM([@[AC Type]])=ProbMatrix[Account]) * ([@[Sales Person]]=ProbMatrix[Sales Person]) * ( ([@[Over a Year]]="TRUE")=ProbMatrix[Over a Year]),0),0))

For your helper table it's better to add one more column which says we have commission as per cent or as absolute value, when we may calculate it as

=IF(INDEX(ProbMatrix[%],MATCH(1, INDEX( (TRIM([@[AC Type]])=ProbMatrix[Account]) * ([@[Sales Person]]=ProbMatrix[Sales Person]) * ( ([@[Over a Year]]="TRUE")=ProbMatrix[Over a Year]),0),0))="Y",[@[Courier Pay]]*[@Commission],[@Commission])

I'm not sure where is the formula from which you started this conversation.

View solution in original post