Excel Formula Calculations Reverting to Manual After I Change to Automatic

Copper Contributor

I have a user who has the latest and greatest of Office 365 Office 2016, fresh install and completely updated, after she started having this issue, and it didn't fix it.

Every other Excel workbook she opens, changes the formula calculations to manual when it's supposed to be automatic.

It doesn't matter where the document resides, whether on her local workstation, SharePoint, or email and she has Windows 10.

I've contacted MS Support on this and he recommended I post in this forum.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get formula calculations to ALWAYS be set to Automatic?

5 Replies

Hi Catie,

Did I understand correctly with that setting

image.png

if you close and open workbook again the setting is shifted to Manual?

The setting in the Excel options is already set to Automatic. It's the workbook calculation that keeps changing intermittently.

Like if you change the workbook to Automatic from the Forumula's tab, save the document, then open it.. it's still Automatic... but if you wait a while, then open the same workbook.. it's reverted back to Manual, even when the option is set in the Excel options itself.

Settings in File->Options and on ribbon are synced, that doesn't matter where to change.

One of possible reasons if you have some workbook in Automatic opened and after that open another workbook with Manual, first workbook also will shift to Automatic.

Another reason could be in VBA, third-party add-ins or templates if you use them.

Perhaps something else, not sure right now.

Same problem. It does have a connection to VBA. I have a workbook with a command button that imports and formats data using VBA instructions. Any time that button is clicked, and another workbook with auto calculate selected is open, the auto calculate workbook gets reverted to manual.