Excel formatted totals

Copper Contributor

I have been using Excel for years, and the last few months I have had to click on the cell I want the total to update in.  It will not recalculate on its own.  Is there a good reason for this?  Some of my spreadsheets are old and have been updated with the updated Excel versions, but the formulas have always worked before.  Even a simple @sum is not working correctly...  This is time consuming and frustrating if I forget to recalculate.

15 Replies

@mooslb 

On the Formulas tab of the ribbon, make sure that Calculation Options is set to Automatic.

YEP, it is...

@mooslb 

Check the status bar at the bottom of the window. Do you see 'Circular References' near the left hand side?

I only have "Ready" and "Accessibility"

@mooslb 

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, sorry.

@Hans Vogelaar 

Thank you for the attempt.  This is why I feel this is strange.  I cannot see any reason why it would not be making the calculations.  Many of the formulas are just adding columns and when I think the total should be correct after the last entry for the formula, I must click on the formula to get it to calculate correctly.

@mooslb 

Does this happen in all workbooks or just in one?

I have had it happen in many different workbooks.

@mooslb 

Very strange. I hope that someone else will have a helpful suggestion for you.

@mooslb 

Could you provide one of those workbooks?

@Detlef Lewin 

I don't really know how to do that.

@mooslb 

Below the forum editor is an area to upload files.

Alternatively you can use OneDrive or another cloud service.

I guess I am not techie enough. I cannot locate either the forum editor or an area to upload files.
Thank you for your time. I will just continue the way I am going. Thanks for your attempts.
You could message someone in this discussion and include it as an attachment that way.
I am not "techie" enough for that, either. I tried...