Excel for Web Pane Freeze Issue

Copper Contributor

Hello all, 

I think this is a bug, but posting to see if it is just some new setting. I believe Excel for web has updated recently and is now causing issues for my team.

We have sheet templates that we use with Rows 1-11 Frozen and Columns ABC frozen.  We work in them every day, one file for every month, 30-60 sheets per file, they go back to 2021.

As of late, we have found that we can no longer MOVE cells that are OUTSIDE the frozen ranges. I.E. The cursor no longer changes to the hand icon when hovering over the edge of a cell, unless you are selected inside Columns ABC. 

I have attempted to triage the problem, and I found that when I unfreeze all cells, I can no longer move ANY of them.  When I freeze any column, I can move cells within the frozen zone only.  This is not only affecting me, but several people on the team and it is also affecting old files that we have not accessed in weeks.

I do not believe it is a file setting, or a sheet setting, I am afraid it is Excel-web specific.  When we open the same files in Excel-desktop, we are able to move all contents and it works as expected.

Some more information, a blank excel file when opened in the web version allows me to move cells around just fine.  As soon as a freeze a row or column I am unable to move cells.  Even unfreezing does not allow me to move cells again.  It's like a switch gets flipped when freeze is clicked, but it does not get unflipped when unfreeze is clicked.

Anyone have any insight?

1 Reply

@marmstrongcarncorp 

A suggested solution could be that clearing the cache in the Edge browser could solve the problem for each user.

To clear the cache in the Edge, you can do the following:

Open Microsoft Edge.

Click on the three horizontal dots in the upper right corner of the window and select "Settings".

Select “Privacy, Search and Services” from the left menu.

Scroll down to the Clear Browsing Data section and click Choose what to clear when clearing.

Make sure the “Cached images and files” box is checked and click “Clear Now”.

If clearing the cache doesn't solve the problem, you can also try that you try using a different web browser like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox to see if the problem persists.

If the issue only occurs in Edge, it could be a specific issue with that browser.

It's also possible that the problem is caused by an add-on or extension.

You can try disabling all add-ons and extensions in Internet Explorer and then check if the problem persists.

Otherwise, don't forget to keep your software up to date. Also see if the Excel file has which extension. If, for example, the file is .xls at the end, I recommend converting it to .xlsx with an Excel desktop version, or even better, copying it to a newer file.

So I'm at the end of my knowledge regarding the possible errors.