Excel for Mac: Get Data --From Table/Range

Copper Contributor

Please include the following info to help others answer your question:

• Device and OS platform, Mac/macOS Big Sur 11.5.1
  • Excel product name and version number, 365 subscription/16.51 (20171101)
  • I am looking for Get Data --> From Table/Range to Get to use Power Query, but Excel does not give me this option that I could see from Microsoft for Windows. 
  • Expected result and method: Saw this instruction but not very instructional: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/import-data-from-a-database-in-excel-for-mac-e127365a-02a...
    I also have Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise. If I change my license on my Mac, will I have that functionality activated in Excel? 
    Thank you!
5 Replies

@Frances2021 Get Data / From Table/Range (or From Sheet in newer versions) is NOT available in Excel for Mac. It's part of the full PowerQuery functionality that comes with Excel for the Windows.

The Get Data (PowerQuery) button in Excel for Mac lets you connect to data in a workbook or a Txt/Csv file, but you can not (yet) create or edit queries. For the moment, all you can do is refresh certain queries that were created on the PC version.

Is creating or editing queries on Microsoft's roadmap?

@Frances2021 Don't really know. Am just user like you. But, I'm hopeful. Right-click inside the table and choose "Table". Then you will see this:

Screenshot 2021-08-01 at 20.34.51.png

This tells me that, at some point of time, queries and DAX measures can be edited and parameters defined/used. Wait and see.

@Frances2021 Hello Frances, were you able to get a solution to/for this? :loudly_crying_face: I am currently going through the same problem and need an urgent solution or alternative 

@Viiktor-180 You will not find it yet. Since my latest post a lot has happened in PQ for the Mac, but there is no Get Date / from Table or Range yet. 

A workaround you could use is to create a table or named range first. Then, in PQ select Blank Query and type/paste the command below into the Source step.

Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content]

Obviously, you need to replace Table1 with the real name of your table/range.