Excel for Mac dropping data? 16384 rows only

Copper Contributor

Excel for Mac 16.26
MAC OS 10.14.4

Doing some contract work where I retrieve data files, download to Excel, clean and transform data., and upload to our company database.

Today I downloaded a large file, over 200K records. I was required to download in csv. Then converted this to xls. I checked that it had 200K records. After doing my work on it, I save it and go to upload to our company database. My excel file has dropped data.  From over 200K rows it now has only 16,384.  Not sure when or how.

It also happened on a separate file today, 96K rows to 16,384.  That's when I realized there was a pattern here and it was most likely an Excel for Mac issue. 

What's going on here?

Seems to be specific to the csv converted files. Haven't noticed similar problems with regular Excel files.

1 Reply

@ascott72you might be better saving your data in CSV format and then uploading. use extension TXT and upload it as a TEXT file.  XLS is the old extension and under windows there is a limit of around 64,000 rows. Maybe on a MAC is 16,384.  A text file shouldn't have any restrictions.