Excel for Mac 2011 copy, paste

Copper Contributor

E.g. Cell A3 formula (=A1+A2). If I select cell A3, copy it and paste it into another cell the data in the destination cell is 0. I would like to be able to select cell A3, copy it, paste it into another cell and have the data in the destination cell show the data in A3. I.e, I would like the formula in the destination cell to stay (=A1+A2).

4 Replies

When

=$A$1+$A$2

Thank you.

I made my example as simple as possible to avoid confusion. Can you give me an example of what formula or sequence to use for a range of cells, e.g. A1 through B6?

It depends on what you'd like to calculate on that range and what do you expect from copy/paste of the result. In general $ sign "fix" the reference, you may check here https://support.office.com/en-us/article/switch-between-relative-absolute-and-mixed-references-dfec0...

Thank you for the article. I read it. It explains how to copy one cell with relative, absolute and mixed references.

I made an error in my explanation of my problem.

My goal is to copy all the formulas in the copied range of cells and paste them into a new location. I.e, I will have two identical data in two sets of cells on sheet 1

My error was failing to explain that one or more of the cells in the copied range on sheet 1 will have its data taken from sheet 2, with a formula similar to, "='sheet 2'!K75". I wish for that formula to be pasted into the destination cells. of sheet 2 with the other formulas from sheet 1.