Excel File going to 40% and holding for up to 1 minute 8 seconds before opening.

Brass Contributor

I have a very large program I use for estimating (18,566KB).  Program works well and does not require a lot of time to open (5 to 10 seconds).  Made some changes to the program and increased it's size to (21,145KB).  Now the program get's to 39 to 40% and holds for over one minute before opening (1 minute 12 seconds at most).  I don't believe it's the size because I deleted some pages to get it smaller, and it still hangs.  This leads me to believe its a coding issue.  I went back to older revisions and tried to make one change at a time to try and find the issue without success.  Most of the time it hangs at 39%, then says "accessing printer".   I tried to save the file to default to PDF.  Again, without success.  I am running Windows 11.  I have done all the updates.   I tried to save it on my computer vs. cloud and nothing seems to matter.  How can I possibly trouble shoot this?  This is a Macro-Enabled Worksheet.  Macro part of the workbook has not changed from earlier versions (ones that open quickly). 

3 Replies
Update!!! Just figured it out. Hide the cells! I had a large amount of cells hidden. Some of the cells contained formulas. If I have them unhidden the program stops at 40%. Hide them, it opens quickly.
Microsoft Excel has given lengthy document for improving opening file
Please take the points from the document which ever useful tips

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/excel/concepts/excel-performance/excel-tips-for-optimizi...

@sivakumarrj 

Morning and thank you for the response.   I have tried a few of these items, and update others as they become obvious.  Unfortunately it becomes a balance between the time it would take to completely rewrite a program that grew over the past three years, vs. accepting a slower opening program.  Ten... Fifteen seconds I can accept.  One minute, eight seconds is a little excessive.  I did find through trial and error that hiding unused cells seems to significantly speed up the opening process.