SOLVED

Excel does not convert numbers to date

Copper Contributor

Hello,

Using Excel with Office365 newly installed I notice that numbers are no more converted automatically to dates. Also when I change the cell format to a specific date, it never changes automatically as per the format set. Same with every new spreadsheet I create.

Would you have any hint about this issue please? Reading over the Internet it seems this feature cannot be disabled so I assume it is a defect with my setup.

Thanks in advance

6 Replies

@David_Sword 

What is the system date format on your computer?

@David_Sword 

It depends on your operational system (Windows, iOS, etc, have no idea on which one you are) regional settings, please check default date format for the OS

@Sergei Baklan  I am running Windows 10 64bits see the attached Geo and date format settings.

best response confirmed by David_Sword (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@David_Sword 

Your default date format is dd/mm/yyyy.

If you enter 1/2/2021 it shall be recognized as date (01 Feb 2021). If you enter 1.2.2021 it doesn't match your date format and Excel takes it as text ( like aas,djas, Excel also doesn't recognize it).

@Sergei Baklan thanks for your help, I have switched the OS date format for French (Switzerland) and it is now capable of recognizing even 1.2 as February 1st successfully

@David_Sword Great to know you sorted this out, thank you for the update

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by David_Sword (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@David_Sword 

Your default date format is dd/mm/yyyy.

If you enter 1/2/2021 it shall be recognized as date (01 Feb 2021). If you enter 1.2.2021 it doesn't match your date format and Excel takes it as text ( like aas,djas, Excel also doesn't recognize it).

View solution in original post