Excel data link without permission in Sharepoint

Copper Contributor

Good morning,

please excuse if the terms I use are not correct, Excel is not running in English, so all terms I use are translated.

I've got an Excel sheet with some data links to other Excel sheets. Let's call this sheet A. I access the other sheets (let's call them sheets B-F) via sharepoint, they're shared by a colleague via onedrive.

Now I shared my sheet A with a third colleague, works fine. BUT: As the data in sheet A should be automatically updated from sheets B-F, the latter colleague is asked to sign in with another account, because he has no access to sheets B-F.

Can I somehow give access to the relevant data of sheets B-F for each user of sheet A without giving them access to whole files?

Thanks in advance for your help!

6 Replies

Hi Konrad

I will assume that Sheet means that they are stored in a Workbook in this instance.

In my understanding, you cannot grant access to sheets B-F as they are owned by someone else. The owner would need to grant access to those workbooks via OneDrive permissions for B-F to work.

I hope that makes sense.

Good luck!

Cheers

Damien

Thank you, Damien!

Well, my problem is that my colleague (owner of sheet B-F) and me don't want to give the other colleague full access to sheets B-F. I'd just like to give access to the very data that is accessed by sheet A.

I wondered if there was a way of telling Excel to get that data without full access to the original sheets...

Hi Konrad

I don't think there is a way to give selective access like that (at least that I am aware of).

You would have to grant access to the whole file to link to the sheets with the data.

Maybe of the other experts here has more info on this but I am not aware of a way to do it.

I do hope that it works out well for you Konrad!

Best wishes and let me know if you find a solution. I would be happy to learn a new trick!

Cheers
Damien
Did you solved it? I going through the same issue.

@Marconi Poveda No, I gave up on this ;)

I just want to share links from my Excel 365 sheet to users I've given permission to as view or edit. The links are mapped to my one drive. Is there a solution for this? It's the same problem as mentioned above.