SOLVED

Excel Cut & Paste

Copper Contributor

I just started a new job and working with a laptop that is a bit challenging to say the least. Working in Excel is quite different although I don't understand why other than it may be that this company may is using a different version than what I'm used to using the past several years. One important Excel action is cut and paste. Perhaps I've lost my mind but I could swear that I could cut and paste regardless if columns or rows are hidden and only the visible cells would be copied. In this job and with this version of Excel, I first have to use Ctrl G and select Visible Cells Only, then am able to copy only those particular cells/rows. Is there some behind the scenes setting that will allow me to only copy visible cells without going through the extra step of using Ctrl G?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by markyr (Copper Contributor)
Solution
If the rows are hidden by a filter, you should be able to select the cells, CTRL + C to copy them, and CTRL + V to paste them in the new destination.

If the rows are hidden manually, you need to first select the visible rows and then do the copy and paste. You may select the visible cells using CTRL + G followed by holding the ALT key down and clicking SY and then Enter. At this point, you may CTRL + C to copy the visible cells, then go to the destination and CTRL + V to paste them.

FWIW, I remember and use few shortcuts besides the CTRL + C and CTRL + V. When accessing the Special cells dialog, I do so using F5 rather than CTRL + G. And I definitely use my trackpad ALT + SY.within the Special cells dialog. If you are doing this kind of copying and pasting all the time, memorizing the keyboard shortcuts is worthwhile.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by markyr (Copper Contributor)
Solution
If the rows are hidden by a filter, you should be able to select the cells, CTRL + C to copy them, and CTRL + V to paste them in the new destination.

If the rows are hidden manually, you need to first select the visible rows and then do the copy and paste. You may select the visible cells using CTRL + G followed by holding the ALT key down and clicking SY and then Enter. At this point, you may CTRL + C to copy the visible cells, then go to the destination and CTRL + V to paste them.

FWIW, I remember and use few shortcuts besides the CTRL + C and CTRL + V. When accessing the Special cells dialog, I do so using F5 rather than CTRL + G. And I definitely use my trackpad ALT + SY.within the Special cells dialog. If you are doing this kind of copying and pasting all the time, memorizing the keyboard shortcuts is worthwhile.

View solution in original post