Excel Cut & Paste Bug

Copper Contributor

Hi I am using Excel 365 locally on my Windows 10 machine and have come across and interesting (dangerous) bug doing a cut and paste of a group of cells one which contains a formula (very simple SUM function). 

The formula is =SUM(D37:D45) and is in cell D36.  D37 contains =E30.  I want to move the data and formula to column C.  So I select the entire group ( ie  D36 to D45) do control X then move cursor to column C and do control V.  The values move correctly and the reference to E30 in now cell C37 is correct and maintains its, value as it should.  However the formula in the cell C36 is =SUM(D37:D45) not =SUM(C37:C45). The cells D37:D45 are now empty so the result is 0 which is incorrect.  (Note: I get the same wrong result if I use right mouse click menu or if I put any other formula ie =AVERAGE(D37:D45 )).
I have shut down Excel, rebooted the machine etc. and the bug still exists.

I am an old, old Excel user since Windows 3.1 (1992!!) so I am pretty familiar with the product. I have never seen this behaviour before.    

2 Replies

EDIT: I see what you mean BUT it works fine for me running Excel 365 version 2210 on Windows 11pro and I also tested using the online Excel (in Chrome)

@mtarler  Yep pretty weird?  It maybe something corrupted within the spreadsheet itself as it remains even though I close the file, close Excel, reboot.... 

Also if I create a new worksheet and retype the code it works normally.....but nothing I can apparently do on the orginal worksheet fixes the problem.  I delete the cell contents and reenter the same code and numbers and bang it is wrong again when I do the cut and paste.  ( ie control+X, control+V).