Excel Crashes

Copper Contributor

Hi Team,

When I try to access the Bold, Italic Font type and Font size options my excel file (existing and new excel file)goes in "Not Responding" mode. I have to kill it from the task manager all the time. It does not allow me to use those functions anymore.

Troubleshooting: 

Repaired, Reinstalled the O365

Created a new system login profile.

Signed into excel account with different account. 

Resetted the excel customize settings.

3 Replies

@Melbon_Coutinho 

Hi and welcome to the Microsoft Tech Community!

I found a solution on this site:

https://www.excelforum.com/excel-general/465904-excel-keeps-crashing-when-i-try-to-format-any-cells....

User CLR Guest said: 

With a clean re-install of Office, and the problem remaining on any file,
then it pretty much has to be a machine problem. Memory, OS, virus, or
hardware. Double check everything, and try another program to see if you
have abnormalities there also....and with that program running in the
background, see if you still have the format problem in Excel. Make sure
your XLstart folder is empty so as not to cause any external problem from
there. Disable any Add-ins you have installed. Have you recently
installed another program, Drivers, and/or Operating Systems?

I also found another possible solution here:

https://www.mrexcel.com/board/threads/excel-crashes-when-formatting-cells.17153/

Try Excel in safe mode and see if the problem goes away. To run Excel in safe mode, click on Start | Run and type 'excel /s' (without the quotes) and press OK. If it works, Excel has minor configuration problems.

Greetings

Martin

@__Martin__ thanks for your reply. I tried opening excel with safe mode and it does work without any issues. Will check on any hardware issue and update you. 

@__Martin__  Maybe you can help me out.  I have an application in Excel that polls a remote PLC through an Active X (MBAXP).  Cells of a sheet are populated on between 1 and 5 seconds.  The application works flawless, UNTIL the office updates.

OFFICE BUILDS PAST V1908 DON'T WORK!!!!  WHY??  I've spent a considerable amount of time uninstalling Office then reinstalling an older version 64bit office.  What the heck is going on?