Excel Copy Paste Strange Behavior

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have a situation here, that may seems normal for some, but I would like to know a to disable the following feature :

I have 2 excel files open at the same time : FileA and FileB

And i have 2 text file : FileC and FileD

Let's say I copy one cell from FileA, paste it in FileC.

Then copy another value from FileD, which is completely different.

And I want to paste it in excel FileB.

What happens, is that in excel FileB, it's the cell copied at set one, from FileA that is pasted, because it was still selected.

What I have to do, is to select an unselect a cell, go back to FileD, and copy the previous text, and go back to FileB, and then the paste is correct.

How to set excel to keep only the latest copy, from any other application ?

Not to keep only the last copy "From Excel" !

Thanks

3 Replies

@patch3001 

After copy-and-pasting from Excel fileA into text fileC, go back to Excel fileA and press Esc to cancel CutCopy mode.

However, I do not have the problem that you describe.  I tried both where Excel fileA and fileB are open in the same and in different instances of Excel.

Then again, I am using Excel 2010 with Win7.

Or perhaps the different behavior is because I open the "text files" with Notepad.  What application are you using to open the "text files"?

I also could not repeat the problem. i tried with both notepad and MS word (running office 365).
That said a 'solution' idea I was going to test is if you paste the text into the formula box instead of the cell or click the cell and hit F2 to go into cell edit mode and then hit paste. But I couldn't test that idea since I couldn't replicate the issue.

@patch3001 

It's something between Office clipboard and Windows clipboard. I'd play bit more to localize an issue

- do you see all copied values in the Clipboard pane

- are you able to clear Office Clipboard history

- copy value and Win+V, do you see it

- is the same with another office app, e.g. Word

- is it the same in safe mode (if some add-in works with clipboard)

- is it the same with another app which work with text files

Perhaps something else, most probably that's an issue in the concrete environment.