Excel conditional formatting

Copper Contributor

I use Excel to track my bills and I've yet to see a template that I like so I've been trying to get some formatting down and I'm not having any luck.  

The attached image is an example of how I track my bills and currently I'm just doing a lot of clicking to get the colors right.  I figured out how to get the red formatting down by entering a minus (-) in the cell, but I want a rule where the payment sent fills one color, and the due next fills another based on what I enter into the field.

my payment amounts are usually always the same so I can't use greater than less than formatting, and if I do some conditional formatting where cell contains "p" (for example) it will fill the cell as desired but the currency formatting is lost at that point

So in short:

1) want cells to retain currency formatting

2) need formatting rule to fill cell if payment is sent/pending

3) need formatting rule to fill cell a different color if it is due next

4) can't use greater/less than because cell values are often the same

> and I would prefer to do something like you see with the red cells (light fill, dark text)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

1 Reply

Hi @letsg30y 

You need to expatiate some of the requests so we can understand better.

e.g, if the payment sent will be in once column based on the example file sent, are you going to use certain parameters to determine some cells to be highlighted? Or you just want to select all cells manually and apply fill colors?

Same with the amount due next, what parameters do you want to use?