SOLVED

Excel comments

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone.

I've been using comments in excel spread sheets for some time without a serious problems but now

I find I am unable to change the font size and type in the comments.

I must have changed a setting somewhere / somehow but have no idea how to rectify this.

Any help would be appreciated but I am not too technically savvy. Thank you.

John

5 Replies

Hello @John_C_Addy,

Is it possible that you protected the worksheet? This could restrict you from editing the contents of a comment.

best response confirmed by John_C_Addy (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@John_C_Addy 

With your permission, if I can recommend you, add a file (without sensitive data) to your project.

Explain your plans in relation to this file.

So you can get a solution that is tailored to your needs much faster.

At the same time, it is much easier for someone who wants to help to understand the subject.

A win-win situation for everyone.

* Knowing the Excel version and operating system would also be an advantage.

Nevertheless, I would like to try to send you some information about the possibilities of comments in Excel. Its for Excel 2010, 2013, 2016..i dont try it in more versions.

Go to the cell you want.
Click this.
Then right mouse button
A selection window will appear.
Select the "Insert Comment" command.
A comment field appears.
You can fill in and / or change this as you wish.
Click on another cell and the comment is hidden.
You will see a small red triangle in the top right corner of the cell. If you go on it with the mouse (without pressing it) the added comment appears.

Format Comment:

To change the settings of the comment, go to the cell with the mouse (click - with the left).

After clicking, please click the right mouse button (stay on the cell).

The same menu appears as before, there you can edit comments (but also choose to show or hide). After clicking the "Edit comment" command, the comment appears, ready for editing.

Go to the edge of the comment window and the mouse cursor becomes a small cross,

then press the right mouse button and a new window will appear.

Select "Comment Format "and a pop-up menu will appear with all possible settings that are available to you. Select which ones you also need and press Ok.

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

@PReagan 

Thanks PReagan but it's not that. I can still create / alter the wording in a comment.

I just can't change the font type or size (or the colour)

@NikolinoDE 

Sorry Nikolino, this is my first post here.

I'm using Excel 2019 in Windows 10.

All I'm trying to do is change the font size from 9 to 10 and text colour in comments I have added to individual files which I had been able to do minutes earlier but then suddenly, without  any warning, I can't.

I can still create new comments and change the text in existing ones.

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for the feedback

No problem, I just pointed it out to you so that you should get the best possible solution.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Nikolino
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by John_C_Addy (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@John_C_Addy 

With your permission, if I can recommend you, add a file (without sensitive data) to your project.

Explain your plans in relation to this file.

So you can get a solution that is tailored to your needs much faster.

At the same time, it is much easier for someone who wants to help to understand the subject.

A win-win situation for everyone.

* Knowing the Excel version and operating system would also be an advantage.

Nevertheless, I would like to try to send you some information about the possibilities of comments in Excel. Its for Excel 2010, 2013, 2016..i dont try it in more versions.

Go to the cell you want.
Click this.
Then right mouse button
A selection window will appear.
Select the "Insert Comment" command.
A comment field appears.
You can fill in and / or change this as you wish.
Click on another cell and the comment is hidden.
You will see a small red triangle in the top right corner of the cell. If you go on it with the mouse (without pressing it) the added comment appears.

Format Comment:

To change the settings of the comment, go to the cell with the mouse (click - with the left).

After clicking, please click the right mouse button (stay on the cell).

The same menu appears as before, there you can edit comments (but also choose to show or hide). After clicking the "Edit comment" command, the comment appears, ready for editing.

Go to the edge of the comment window and the mouse cursor becomes a small cross,

then press the right mouse button and a new window will appear.

Select "Comment Format "and a pop-up menu will appear with all possible settings that are available to you. Select which ones you also need and press Ok.

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

View solution in original post