Excel change text into Scientific notation and can't really even turn the function off

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

Hope all is well.

So I need to put "89417E109" into excel and it will change it into '8.9417e+113' automatically. Well I check on Excel Document, saying that this function is unable to turned off, which is very inefficient and stupid. However, the ways the document shows to prevent it (turn the blank into text form) is actually not working. I need to read the excel through python(pandas) and the outcome of that blank is still '8.9417e+113' in python even when it shows the right text while opened by Excel.

I believe the reason for that is that Excel is not transfer the data into text but only show it in text in some way. YOU ARE NOT REALLY SOLVING THE PROBLEM!

Haimin

1 Reply

@Haimin760 

Excel hasn't really changed anything.  You input a perfectly valid number format and Excel accepted the number ready for calculation.

Assuming that you want the sequence to be treated as a text string rather than a number, you can either format the cell as containing Text, before you enter the value, or you can precede the string with an apostrophe.  Excel does similar things with dates and fractions.