Excel cannot open this file. The file might have been damaged or modified from its original format

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am home sick and my boss sent me a template for a spreadsheet I work on daily for payroll.  When I try to download it, I get this message,

"Excel cannot open this file. The file might have been damaged or modified from its original format"

I am working on a Mac with Yosemite and Excel 2008 for Mac Version 12.3.6.  Product ID:  92715-497-4216933-12642.

I tried to save it to my drive as a google sheet and then download as an excel file but still no dice.  Can someone please assist?

Thank you!

2 Replies

@shoobalicous 

One of the first things I'd do is update your Excel software. I don't know for sure that this would fix it, but since we're running Version 16.whatever now in my home (also on a Mac), it sounds like you've let a few generations go past.

It's entirely possible the file got corrupted somehow, so ask your boss to re-send. Also, depending on how sophisticated that original is (i.e., the functions used, and so forth) it's possible that neither Google nor your Excel version 12 is up to the task.