SOLVED

Excel autocomplete was working with my data validations, now it isn't

Brass Contributor

It just suddenly stopped working. No recent updates are indicated in my update history.

11 Replies

@zorgnum 

There must have been something else in place that changed. One way to achieve autocompletion with data validation is to put the data validation list above the cell with data validation. This works like it would work in any other cell .

Here is a link with information on how you can get a quick and precise solution proposal.

Welcome to your Excel discussion space!

I hope this helps! 

the validation list is sourced from another sheet so that is not an option, and that is just repeating an existing entry on the sheet, not autocomplete - it was working fine and now it isn't. I'm seeing if other people I know are having the same problem.

@zorgnum 

I found a thread where users have reported similar issues with autocomplete not working for data validation in a shared Excel sheet opened on the web.

However, I couldn’t find any specific solutions or reasons for why this issue might be occurring.

@zorgnum  I am having the same problem. It was working and suddenly stop working whitout new updates

best response confirmed by zorgnum (Brass Contributor)
Solution
I'm on Version 2303 (Build 16227.20280 Click-to-Run) and the autocomplete was working fine, then it just stopped yesterday. No updates are available and none have been done to explain what happened. It's really flaky performance from Microsoft, and I have to pay for support to have them explain why they can't provide something more stable.
I'm on Version 2303 (Build 16227.20280 Click-to-Run) and the autocomplete was working fine, then it just stopped yesterday. No updates are available and none have been done to explain what happened. It's really flaky performance from Microsoft, and I have to pay for support to have them explain why they can't provide something more stable.

@zorgnum 

Hello,

I am glad that your problem has been solved.

I would also like to make it clear that I am not an employee of Microsoft or have any dependent employment.

I'm a simple user of this forum like you, who just wants to help here.

Helping people help themselves.

If you would like to receive support from Microsoft, I recommend that you contact Microsoft Support, here is the link: Contact Microsoft Office Support.

Next, I would like to note that I asked for additional information but did not receive an answer.

If I may recommend next time, add more information about your digital environment to your topic/concern/problem.

This would help anyone who would like to help to have a better picture of the topic/issue/problem, so you could also get a more accurate and faster solution suggestion.

Here is the link again: Welcome to your Excel discussion space!

The digital environment means: Excel version, operating system, storage medium and everything else that is directly or indirectly related to the topic.

Preferably with photos or file/s (without sensitive data) and step-by-step explanations.

Please remember that no one here can see what you can see.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

I have the same issue, Microsoft did it exactly same as in april 2022 when after update this funcionality stopped working until next update.
I gave you extra information. I have been programming professionally with Microsoft products for over 38 years and your suggestion was completely irrelevant to the situation that I originally listed, as I noted in my reply. You may benefit from reading people's responses.
Is it still not working for you guys? I'm having the same problem. It used to work with data validation. I'm at Version 2304 Build 16327.20248.
This stopped working for me also including on very old workbooks. It has to be a change in the current version which, for me, is Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2308 Build 16.0.16731.20052) 64-bit
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by zorgnum (Brass Contributor)
Solution

View solution in original post