Excel auto complete text

Copper Contributor

I did all the below methodology to have Excel auto complete text for me and it doesn't, why not? Is there a block to that process? How does that work, Thanks.

Turn automatic completion of cell entries on or off

Microsoft Office Excel completes text entries that you start to type in a column of data — if the first few letters that you type match an existing entry in that column. If you want to stop automatic completion, you can turn this option off.

1. Click File > Options.

2. Click Advanced, and then under Editing options, select or clear the Enable AutoComplete for cell values check box to turn this option on or off.

6 Replies

@How_does_that_work 

it's supposed to work as per below, so because Apple is already in my list when I type A it comes up

clipboard_image_0.png

However if I have 2 existing items beginning with A then I need to type the 2nd letter for autocomplete to work

clipboard_image_1.png

Is this sort of thing not working for you?

@Wyn Hopkins 

I am having a similar issue. The autocomplete feature was working but now, I begin to type in a cell it no longer is filling it in. This is happening sporadically but most of the time it doesn't work anymore. I am able to use the auto-complete feature right under a cell that is already filled out. However, if I go a cell down where there isn't a filled cell above it, when I type the text it does not auto-complete. I have a feeling it has to do with the blank cell but I can't figure out why it works sometimes and doesn't others. I've ensured the feature is turned on, turned it off, closed the spreadsheet, re-opened and then turned it back on...same issue. Hopefully this makes sense. 
Example: In multiple cells I have "abc" and that's the only thing written in these cells. For this example, cell 1A, 1B and 1C has abc written in it. If I go to 1D and start typing it will start the abc auto-complete/fill.  However, if I leave cell 1D blank and move to 1E (so now there is a blank cell above the one I'm typing in) and start typing, no fill options appear.

1A abc

2B abc

1C abc

1D blank

1E doesn't fill when typing abc

Hi, strange one, works for me sorry when I quickly tested it, but I do know from experience there are confusing times it doesn't work
I am having this autocomplete problem, but I don't have "Advanced" as a choice in File > Options. Am I missing something?

@Holly82   
This is EXACTLY the issue I'm having. 
Autocomplete (online Excel Office 365 for Windows 10)  used to word in my drop down menus. Now it never does.  Anyone have any ideas?

@Kristina2180 

That's not exactly the same. Searchable drop-down list is on and off, it's under development.