Excel ALT+ENTER - did this go away?

Copper Contributor

For some reason, I cannot be in a cell and use ALT+ENTER to move down a line and continue typing.

Did this feature go away?

Help!

Thanks -mash

16 Replies

@MashPotatoes 

For such cells please be sure Wrap text is set

image.png

@Sergei Baklan Hi there.

I do have wrap text set.  This is a simple spreadsheet I have used for some time.

I have name, addresses listed.

I like to track updated info w/a date off to the side. 

Thanks -mash

@Sergei Baklan 

This is what the info looks like in the text bar on top of the spreadsheet:

04012020 Emailed for update                                    12152019 New Customer

This is how the info should look inside the cell:

04012020 Emailed for update

12152019 New Customer

Thanks -mash

@Sergei Baklan the only work around is adding a bunch of spaces.

If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Best,

mash

@MashPotatoes 

Do you mean it shall be as in the bottom cell?

image.png

@Sergei Baklan I'm hoping for items to be entered one on top of the other like an itemized list:

1. data <ALT+ENTER>

2. data <ALT+ENTER>

3. data <ALT+ENTER>

and so on.

ALT+ENTER is not working.

@MashPotatoes 

Another attempt

image.png

Above is with Alt+Enter

@Sergei Baklan Yes... it's not working on my end even with wrap text in alignment format.

@MashPotatoes 

Is that Excel for Windows Desktop or more exotic one?

@MashPotatoes 

Try to open attached file with the sample from previous answer if it works with you

By chance, are you accessing Excel via Remote Desktop?  I've seen the behavior you've described when someone was using Excel in this capacity.  Alt+enter would not work at all.

@Patrick2788 No.. just from my laptop.

After shutting down computer, restarting, same problem.

I went into Excel and checked for an update (even though I receive updates all the time). Update found, computer restarted and VIOLA... ALT+ENTER works now.

Hopefully this will help someone... I was spinning my wheels today trying to figure out.

v/r,
mash

@Sergei Baklan 

I went into Excel and checked for an update (even though I receive updates all the time). Update found, computer restarted and VIOLA... ALT+ENTER works now.

Hopefully this will help someone... I was spinning my wheels today trying to figure out.

v/r,
mash

@Patrick2788 

v/r,
mash