SOLVED

Excel added a 2nd quick access toolbar and changed top portion of worksheet to gray

Copper Contributor

I have used my excel (MS Office 2016) for 5 years, no issues.  This evening Excel presented very differently. Upon opening:

• The top portion of the worksheet (quick access toolbar and tab areas) was gray - it is normally green.
  • The tab areas now have a light gray color and are outlined.
  • There is a second quick access toolbar, which I am unable to remove.
  • NOTE - I was able to change a small part of the top of the worksheet back to GREEN by selecting an office theme of "Colorful".
  • However this did not resolve nor address the issue a of second quick access toolbar, why was there an unsolicited change, and returning my toolbar and tabs back to the normal way of presenting.

Any ideas what is going on?

ALSO, FOR REFERENCE - I include a snapshot of my MS Word ribbon and tabs etc. Though this is MS Word - this is the same style the Excel worksheet had.

Thank you,

Roy

25 Replies

@ROYL57 

Hi Roy,

I'm glad this helped you!

I have no idea about any primal cause of happened, cause I'm just a casual user. I thihk, it's Microsoft, who is guilty:)

I spent two days reading microsoft and different excel-focused forums in english and russian language and finaly found the solution here https://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=23:47335

@NikolinoDE 

Are you suggesting one of those instructions explain how to fix my problem?  I cant see any answer there?  I use office 365

Hi Maxim, although your suggestion does fix the "2nd toolbar", it also makes the Excel icon on the far left of the title disappear. As such, I come to the conclusion that the save icon outside the toolbar, isn't part of the toolbar itself but a glitch performed on the last update probably. My work Excel 365 isn't updated and doesn't have this issue. My home Excel 2016 though, is updated, and has this same behavior. Also no other Office app has this issue. Hopefully they'll fix it with the next update.

@Rodney27 

Thank you for posting. I was looking for the answer and reading through this forum thread, I figured it out! It's actually in plain sight lol 

Customize Quick Access Tools drop down → Hide Command Labels (very last option)

Compress from this 

aimee01_3-1641508397111.png

to this

aimee01_2-1641508296561.png

Msft was troubleshooting constant Outlook crashes. After the online repair, I had the "opportunity" to try out the new look and an itchy trigger finger... Needless to say, I'm spending time in forums trying to unwind some of these customizations. I digress...

@aimee01 

Thanks Aimee, I did figure this myself too. Just frustrating that it changed & now it took us a while to sort

cheers

@ROYL57 By having the try new features toggle on.