Excel 365 XLOOKUP - New User Question

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to use the XLOOKUP function to retrieve duplicate values from 1 piece of criteria. The formula below is where i am at.

=XLOOKUP(F2:F1500,Q2:Q309,Q2:R309,,-1)

I am looking up a code number as criteria "03-01" (1 of many in a column)

I have multiple duplicate matches that i want returned from another column but it only returns the first match. As i drag it down the column it keeps returning the first match.

How do i get it to return all matches as i drag it down the column.

Thanks 

Terry

6 Replies

@Terry_M09 

You might be better served by the FILTER function. It will return multiple rows that match a given criterion, or several criteria....   Here are two sources that might help you accomplish your task with that function.

https://exceljet.net/excel-functions/excel-filter-function

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9DtFOVPIg

Learn everything about our brand-new Dynamic Arrays and how you can use them to build advanced spreadsheets. Arrays (CSE) have long been present in Excel, but were limited to power users. With Dynamic Arrays we have rebuilt the calc engine, effectively turning all formulas into array formulas ...

Thanks. I am using the filter function now but i have to cut and paste down my sheet changing the criteria cell reference as i go. I need something a bit easier.@mathetes 

@Terry_M09 

Is it possible to post a copy of your spreadsheet then? I think we need a bit more of an understanding of the full context here. Just make sure there's nothing confidential or private in the sheet.

Hi,

I have attached part of the file with no personal identifiable info included.

Column F holds a list of codes some duplicate relating to the amount of duplicate entries in the sheet that code has.

Column G hold asset codes duplicated the number of times the code in F is duplicated.

Column H holds the returned filtered duplicate values which i want to return using XLOOKUP.

The return array uses column Q and R which the duplicate values to be returned.

I hope that makes sense.

I would like to put the XLOOKUP in column H and drag it down the column to returm my duplicate matches for the code in column F

Thanks.@mathetes 

@Terry_M09 

You wrote: I hope that makes sense.

I'm afraid it doesn't. I don't really get the ultimate task here. Nor the logic (or intended logic) behind the codes in the various columns. I can see why XLOOKUP and FILTER aren't working...I don't think either is intended to work within the table that they're a part of. They're intended as tools to sit outside of a table/database and extract a row [XLOOKUP] or set of rows [FILTER] that meet criteria.

But I suspect that there's a deeper issue regarding the basic database itself.

OK Thanks. I may have to look at doing it differently.@mathetes