Excel 365 - Double clicking in a cell to edit

Copper Contributor

For years I could double click a cell and immediately edit the contents. I could also double click a column edge at column top to automatically adjust to a typed cell width. What gives?

4 Replies

@Ed_Thomas52 

Never knew that was possible until your question. Went to my Excel sheet and double-clicked to discover that what you said your could do for years I can do too! Never missed it, but it's sure there. I've been editing and changing cells widths for years without knowing what your question reveals to be possible.

As to "What gives?" well, what indeed.

Now, I'm on a Mac, loaded with the latest Excel 365 update....don't know if that could be a factor. But, frankly, I also have a hard time understanding why it's even an issue. You are still able to edit, right, by putting your cursor in a cell and then typing? And grabbing and dragging to set column width works? What gives?

@mathetes  - i'm on windows. Further investigating, found that I needed to slow down the double click speed of the mouse. Once done, all is well. Hope this helps!

@mathetesIn answer to your other question, yes i can "edit, right, by putting your cursor in a cell and then typing? And grabbing and dragging to set column width works?"

@Ed_Thomas52 

Ahh. Now we can both sleep well tonight. :)