Excel 2021 error 75

Copper Contributor

I have been using an excel file for a long time, under Office 2016 and Office 2019. 

This file contains a VB module.

I have transferred to Office 2021, and now the file does not work correctly: I cannot copy a sheet; I get error 75.

Microsoft support does not assist.

Please help

14 Replies
To allow us to help, do the following:
- When the error happens, take a screen-shot of the error window
- Click the Debug button
- Take a screen-shot of the window that opens. Make sure we can read the entire text on the line that is marked in yellow
- Copy the routine with the yellow marked line and paste that routine (and attach the two screen-shots) in your reply here

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

zeevbngmailcom_0-1675097357364.pngzeevbngmailcom_1-1675097455792.png

There is no Debug button, as can be seen.

Here is an exact description:

I have an excel file, which has been working correctly for years.

It contains a base sheet that consists of data and simple formulas. In addition, there is a module, that calculates a simple addition of some data from all existing sheets.
Periodically I copy this sheet by pressing the sheet's name with the right mouse button and choosing the Move or Copy... option. 
After updating Office to a newer version, when I try to use this option to copy a sheet, I get the above errors. A file named VBxxxx.tmp is created in the original file's folder.

I can, however, copy this sheet manually: open a new sheet with the + command, then copy the content of an existing sheet, and paste it into the new sheet. 
It is an annoying bug, one of those added to every new version of Office, usually to stay for eternity. Or isn't it?

If you open the vba editor, what do the sheetnames look like in the project explorer?

@zeevbngmailcom I was referring to a screen-shot like this one:

JanKarelPieterse_0-1675175914874.png

@zeevbngmailcom 

OK, looks as if the VBA project of the file is corrupted. You can fix it as follows:

1. Open the current file
  2. Save-as, select file type xlsx
  3. Click Yes to the prompt that you'll lose the code
  4. Close the newly saved file
  5. Now open both your new xlsx and your old xlsm file
  6. Open the VBA editor
  7. Double-click Sheet1 in the xlsM project
  8. Select all code in the window and hit control+c
  9. Double-click Sheet1 in the xlsX project
  10. Paste in the new window
  11. Repeat steps 7-10 for all other worksheets
  12. Repeat steps 7-10 for ThisWorkbook
  13. Drag any modules, userforms and class modules from the xlsm to the xlsx file
  14. Close the VBA editor
  15. Save-as the xlsx file to Excel workbook with macros.
Followed religiously your steps.
Same error...
If you insert a brand new sheet and copy over the content from the other worksheet, can you subsequently make copies of that new sheet?
This method works just fine, as I have mentioned above.
It solves the issue practically, but does not answer the real problem.
I assume the sheet you are trying to copy has some sort of corruption.
The only change is the Office version. This file is in use for several years - flawlessly.
That may be true, but newer Office versions sometimes have more strict handling of the file contents. It is just one of those things I'm afraid.
Thanks for your trial to assist.