Excel 2016 Series fill not properly working

Copper Contributor

hi, in excel 2016 when i try autofill in series the two numbers i enter to create a pattern keeps repeating.

48 Replies

Have you tried holding down ctrl when dragging the fill handle?

yes i tried holding down ctrl and still the same issue

Hi Bashir,

After you drag down check/change autofill option expanding the icon at right bottom

image.png

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/fill-data-automatically-in-worksheet-cells-74e31bdd-d993-45...

I have the same problem with Office 2016. Whatever letters I put in keep repeating. Fill Series does not appear as a choice on my dropdown menu. See picture.

Hi Jan,

Alphabetical is not the default list for Fill Series, you need to add it first at File->Options->Advanced->General. See https://excelribbon.tips.net/T007803_AutoFilling_with_the_Alphabet

Nice! Thanks.

@Sergei Baklan 

Hi, I have a similar problem just in my case the selection of prefill options is not even there. It always used to work but suddenly a couple of days ago ist started showing the quick data analysis instead. See attached screenshots.

clipboard_image_0.png

This is what happens when I drag the corner:

clipboard_image_1.png

And these are then my options:

clipboard_image_2.png

If you had any idea how to fix it it would be greatly appreciated..

Solved.PNG

 Make sure these options were selected

@Vu_Tran I have this same problem with Excel 365.  The answer did not solve my issue.

In case you need to get Excel AutoFill not working, you can switch it off by doing the following:
Click on File in Excel 2010-2013 or on the Office button in version 2007.
Go to Options -> Advanced and untick the checkbox Enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop.

@Vu_Tran Thanks for the advice. It was all correct in the settings but eventually I found out that the different pre-fill options are not available when one uses filters (when some of the rows are hidden). So I guess it had nothing to do with the settings, just the fact that this is for some reason not possible with filters on..

Thank you@adaso16 for your comment. You saved me a lot of time searching for a solution. It sure would be nice if Microsoft would add this "exception" to the fill handle instructions in their support.microsoft.com website.

You are most welcome @balboamom :)

I completely agree, it would have saved me a lot of trouble and time too had that been the case...

@adaso16  After about a hour of trying different solution, your answer was spot on for me.  Thanks so much for putting it out there. 

@adaso16Thanks for your suggestion because I was facing same problem but when i switched Filter then it works normally. Thank you

Hello @Sergei Baklan,

I have and issue but with the numbers with autofill. Say I type 5, followed by 10.If I select 5 and then 10(with control button pressed ) then I am supposed to get a black plus sign on bottom right corner , which I am not. No filters are active in this case.    

@sujit36 

Yes, selecting them you have only Quick Analysis button.

image.png

But after you drag selection down you shall see black "plus" (not visible on screenshot) and autofill icon

image.png

Is that something different in your case?

@Sergei Baklan,

I am not getting the Quick analysis button,instead a white cross shows upon the bottom right corner 

Sorry , I am getting neither the white cross or the dark plussign, just the quick analysis button.