Excel 2016 missing Oracle database connection options

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone!

Firstly, I'm sorry if this is not the correct place to ask this, but I'm not sure where should I ask.

I'm not a developer, I'm a simple sysadmin in SMB company that has plenty of other IT related tasks.

We're using a proprietary software in our company that uses Oracle database.

I'm trying to connect to this database in Excel and pull out some data to see if we can work with them in Excel. We also use another software to access the database and build reports in it, and while this software is really sophisticated, it lacks in some aspects we'd like and therefore I'd like to try to do few things in Excel.

So far, I've spent about two hours Googling and searching around the web how to connect to the Oracle database, and most tutorials are pretty straight forward. In Excel, I should go to Data, and tab, then Get Data > From Database > From Oracle Database. If I don't see the Get Data button, then click New Query > From Database > From Oracle Database. This is from Office Support article on how to connect to Oracle Database. However, I do not have any such options in Excel.

I even tried to re-register the Oracle OLE DB provider, but when I use it as provider in Excel connection, it still says that this provider is not registered on local machine.

I have Oracle 11.2.0 installed with Administration package option (it's necessary to install it for software we use to work), and the PATH system variable has oracle install folder also correctly set.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro x64 (1709) and we're using Office 365 Business.

So my question is, is there problem in my Office installation, or does Business 365 plan not include these options (connect to Oracle)? What or where should I do if I'm not in correct place for my issue?

Thanks in advance

3 Replies

Hi Jan,

From my memory Office 365 Business doesn't include Oracle connector, you need to have Enterprise plan. 

Hi Sergei,

thanks for quick response.
So what are my options then, besides upgrading our 365 plan?
I'm currently trying to add OBDC connector from Administration Tools but for some reason it won't connect.

I also don't understand why registering OracleOLEDB.dll did not add the connector to Excel. Are there any other limitations?

Thank you

Jan,

More details about the plans is here, first in FAQ https://support.office.com/en-us/article/get-transform-and-power-pivot-in-excel-42d895c2-d1d7-41d0-8... and in more details for previous versions of Excel

• Microsoft Office 2013:
    • Power Query Premium: All Power Query features available for: Professional Plus, Office 365 ProPlus or Excel 2013 Standalone
    • Power Query Public: Available for all other Office 2013 Desktop SKUs. Includes all Power Query features, except the following ones: Corporate Power BI Data Catalog, Azure-based data sources, Active Directory, HDFS, SharePoint Lists, Oracle, DB2, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sybase, Teradata, Exchange, Dynamics CRM, SAP BusinessObjects, Salesforce

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39379

I didn't work with Oracle and I'm on E3 plan, don't know if workaround exists or not. My understanding you have connector or you don't have connector, independently of registering Oracle dll.