Excel 2016 Find Replace not working on same columns multiple sheets

Copper Contributor

For years I have been able to select multiple tabs (7+) and highlight the same columns and use the Find/Replace function (within Sheet) to update formulas.  Recently this stopped functioning and only lets me do 2 sheets at a time (sometimes).  I am using Excel 2016 and the file type is a Macro Enabled Workbook.  Changing the Within from Sheet to Workbook is not an option as it effects other formulas. 

14 Replies

@SidNee201 Have you figured out a solution to this?  I am having the same problem and need to be able to select more than 2 sheets at a time.

I'm also having the same problem. Have you found a solution?

@SidNee201 

Any news regarding this?  Was an issue last month, thought I might have changed some setting but after review, did not.  Still an issue.

@JJJ1969  I have consulted with MANY users and had no luck finding a solution.  It appears that this happened after a update was installed.  I was hoping a MS "expert" would weigh in on this but have heard nothing.

@SidNee201 

Have you heard anything about how to fix this???

I came across this problem a few days ago, since having some software updates.  I need this to be correctly asap.  I can't work on building templates if this is not working...

@SidNee201 

It was due to a software update that had recently got pushed through at my office.  I had them un-install and re-install excel 2016 and it seems to be working fine for now.  I may have them revert me back to Excel 2013 or earlier unless it gets fixed in 2016.

I am guessing it will happen again once I am forced to do a software update again.

I'm interested in the official documentation of this change if it exists in the updates history somewhere.

Facing same problem here too.. we need a fix for this

I have the same issue since 2 or 3 months, Here are the steps to reproduce: 
1) Open workbook with multiple sheets (mine having 13 sheet) 
2) Right-click on a sheet and Select All 
3) Select a bunch of cells that have values that you want to replace 
4) Ctrl+h to open the replace tool 
5) Type in the Find what: and the Replace with: 
6) Click on Replace All 

Replace will work only for the current active sheet and next one in selected only, other selected sheets will not replaced.

Same problem here.

Work in company and this is part of daily routine among several excel files.

It can't be so hard to sort it out.. come on!

@MomaniSM 

FYI - Although only 2 sheets will be changed when more are selected, the cells are still highlighted on all selected sheets just not changed on all sheets.  Just have to select each tab not changed individually and select Replace (all) only since the cells will already be highlighted.

Still takes bit of extra work but at least you won't have to re-highlight the cells on the tabs that did not change. 

This seems to be an issue that Microsoft is ignoring. Anyone have an idea how to raise more awareness or get MS to fix?

I had my IT department uninstall and reinstall excel.  They had to do it a few times because Microsoft kept trying to push me to update.  Ignore the updates until it forces you to do it.  After like the 3rd reinstall, it seems to be working fine... for now.... going on 1 month without issue.

Another option I am seeing is reverting back to 2013 version. I know this is not an ideal solution but not being to able to work on multiple tabs is taking up precious time.

I have no clue how to escalate to MS.

Yay!  This appears to be fixed.  At least it's working today.