Excel 2016 and Co-Authoring

Silver Contributor

I seem to recall hearing that Excel 2016 client application co-authoring is coming soon.  Is there anywhere online that has more information about this?

Also, does anyone know will co-authoring work on an RMS-protected document?

5 Replies

Also trying to find info about this, not sure why MS cant have a page with a table saying the scenarios currently supported by version, the scenarios coming soon & not supported (both Windows & Mac versions)

Spend ages trying to find bits in random blog posts to piece together the picture, come on MS it cant be that hard to give us the info in a single place & keep it updated!

I've yet to find anything published about it. All I've seen is a very brief mention (by i think Jeff Teper) in one of the Ignite keynotes that it is coming in Q1 of 2017. But it is not on the roadmap or anything.

I emailed MS and they are still saying Q1 2017 for Excel Windows & Mac (subject to change)

@Brent Ellis wrote:
I've yet to find anything published about it. All I've seen is a very brief mention (by i think Jeff Teper) in one of the Ignite keynotes that it is coming in Q1 of 2017. But it is not on the roadmap or anything.

Hi Brent,

Sorry if you've already read my other replies about excel co-authoring but seems a lot of people are waiting on MS for this. Until then ...

give http://www.xlshare.net a try. It does co-authoring and real-time collaboration in Excel 2016 (desktop). This is available now and there is a free version to use. There is a video on the website which demonstrates it's capabilities.

It is very simple to use. Should take less than a minute to install and doesn't require any additional software.

As for RMS-protected files. If it opens up in Excel 2016 then it'll work. XLShare is just an addin to Excel.

Jon