Excel 2010 - The maximum number of data series per chart is 255

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I'm using Excel 2010 on Windows 10.
I have huge number of data (about 1400 rows per column, 1 column forces, alls others translations) made by an optical measurement system. I want to have a chart, that shows me the force on the y-axis and translation on the x-axis. But Excel displays it the other way around, so I tried to use 'Switch Row/Column' and get this error: 'The maximum number of data series per chart is 255.'
I'm not able to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1), because it does not support Windows 10.
Does anybody have an idea how to fix the problem?

Many thanks in advance!

3 Replies

@mensch_mattes 

The maximum number of series per chart is 255 in newer versions of Excel too, so you'll either have to include fewer rows per chart (which would improve readability too), or stick with what you have.

@Hans Vogelaar 

Hi, it just occurred to me as well. I added a blank line just beneath my main title line, corresponding to all data columns, made the data graphs, and pasted back the original title line for the columns afterwards. Same titles appeared on my graph as well. 

kind regards. 

Hi, it just occurred to me as well. I added a blank line just beneath my main title line, corresponding to all data columns, made the data graphs, and pasted back the original title line for the columns afterwards. Same titles appeared on my graph as well.