SOLVED

Error with IFS transferring data from one spreadsheet to another if conditions met

Copper Contributor

Hello, I could use some help with the IFS formula.  Thanks in advance!

I am using Excel as part of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013.  I have two spreadsheets and I am trying to pull data from a tab on one spreadsheet (DailyRollup.xlsx, the "DailyExtract" tab) to be shown on a different spreadsheet (Forecast.xlsx) if one of four criteria are met, otherwise leaving the field blank. 

Each cell in Column E of the source file either has one of four codes in it:  P, H, T, or S, or the field is blank if none of those apply.  The source cells are hard-coded with those letter codes.  The data I need to show in my "Forecast.xlsx" spreadsheet starting in Cell D3 comes from the source document in Cell E1380 is the first instance of the codes I am trying to 

When I use the formula shown below in Cell D3 of my Forecast.xlsx document, I get the #NAME? error.  

=IFS('[DailyRollup.xlsx]DailyExtract'!$E1380="P","P",'[DailyRollup.xlsx]DailyExtract'!$E1380="H","H",'[DailyRollup.xlsx]DailyExtract'!$E1380="T","T",'[DailyRollup.xlsx]DailyExtract'!$E1380="S","S",TRUE,"")

3 Replies
best response confirmed by LPax11 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@LPax11 

The IFS function is not available in Excel 2013, only in Excel 2019 and Excel if Microsoft 365 (aka Office 365). So you'll have to use nested IF functions:

=IF([DailyRollup.xlsx]DailyExtract!$E1380="P","P",IF([DailyRollup.xlsx]DailyExtract!$E1380="H","H",IF([DailyRollup.xlsx]DailyExtract!$E1380="T","T",IF([DailyRollup.xlsx]DailyExtract!$E1380="S","S",""))))

@Hans Vogelaar Thank you for that, the nested IF function worked just fine.  Appreciate your help :)

@LPax11 

As variant

=IF(SUM(COUNTIF([DailyRollup.xlsx]DailyExtract!$E1380,{"P","H","T","S")),[DailyRollup.xlsx]DailyExtract!$E1380,"")
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by LPax11 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@LPax11 

The IFS function is not available in Excel 2013, only in Excel 2019 and Excel if Microsoft 365 (aka Office 365). So you'll have to use nested IF functions:

=IF([DailyRollup.xlsx]DailyExtract!$E1380="P","P",IF([DailyRollup.xlsx]DailyExtract!$E1380="H","H",IF([DailyRollup.xlsx]DailyExtract!$E1380="T","T",IF([DailyRollup.xlsx]DailyExtract!$E1380="S","S",""))))

View solution in original post