SOLVED

Error while trying to register ActiveX control in Excel 365

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I would like to use a custom ActiveX control (used for communicating with serial devices) within Excel 365. When I attempt to add the control, it does not show in the ActiveX list, even though it is properly registered in SysWow64. When I select "Register Custom" and navigate to the file ( an *.ocx file in the SysWow64 folder), I get the error message, "The selected file does not contain any self-registering ActiveX controls." I have tried signing the control (EV code signing certificate), compiling an x64 version (Windows 11/Office 365), If I install an old version of office (2016 and 2013), I can add the control without issue. Does anyone know of a solution to get my control to work with Office 365?

3 Replies
best response confirmed by kludwigTEC (Copper Contributor)
Solution
You'll have to install the 32 bit version of Office. Nowadays, Office defaults to 64 bit.
Thank you for your response. That was the one thing I had not tried. After installing the 32-bit version on Windows 11, I was able to use my activex control without issue. I am interested in knowing, however, why wouldn't a 64 bit build of the control (registered and signed) work in the 64-bit version of Office? Is there a limitation of COM objects to only work in 32-bit?
If there really is a dedicated 64 bit version of the control, then it *should* work. But you must contact the owner of the control for that.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by kludwigTEC (Copper Contributor)
Solution
You'll have to install the 32 bit version of Office. Nowadays, Office defaults to 64 bit.

View solution in original post