SOLVED

Error Message when attempting to open perfectly valid EXCEL workbooks

Copper Contributor

Can anyone help me with a simple issue?  I have numerous EXCEL spreadsheets with .xlsx.  I recently upgraded to OFFICE 21 and now whenever I try to open any of these from either the PINNED files or recently used file list, I almost always get the message "Excel annot open the file "filename" because the file format or file extension is not valid.  Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file" - I then have to BROWSE to the actual file and open it with no problems at all - what/why is this

5 Replies
best response confirmed by JimLedlow (Copper Contributor)
Solution
This error is often encountered when trying to open a file from a location that's synchronizing with OneDrive and the local OneDrive app is not running.
thanks Patrick2788 reset to open with ONEDRIVE running (enabled ONEDRIVE in STARTUP) and still does not work but I will try to be sure other ONEDRIVE settings and sync are correct
You may need to give the sync some time to update and then try the workbook again.
Added my ssd as a subdirectory under the ONEDRIVE directory and seems to work as expected now - thanks much
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JimLedlow (Copper Contributor)
Solution
This error is often encountered when trying to open a file from a location that's synchronizing with OneDrive and the local OneDrive app is not running.

View solution in original post